Moving outside drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a terraced house and have an open drain outside my conservatory into which my kitchen and bathroom waste goes. My neighbour is now building an extension along side my conservatory so I would not have access to this \\\'open\\\' drain anymore. His builder said he will route this drain around the side my conservatory and back into the manhole which is under my conservatory floor via a drain which currently only takes away surface water. This involves a right-angle? and also seems overly complicated. Wouldn\\\'t it just be more straight forward to route my drain straight into my neighbours new manhole?

Any help in understanding the issues here would be much appreciated?

Sponsored Links
something is not right here.

surface water can not go down a main sewer, and grey water can not go down rain drain

grey water= from sinks and similar

sorry........must disagree here, with our house which was built in the 60's, all our surface water goes down main sewer. When we had a new extension built a few years ago I raised this with the building inspector and he told me that with older properties this was a method commonly used, and he allowed us to link the downpipe for the new extension to the old pipe.

Where I live it's quite common to have a combined surface / foul sewer system, I think it's because there are no suitable water courses for the surface water to be directed to.

Sponsored Links
Suze said:
His builder said he will route this drain around the side my conservatory and back into the manhole which is under my conservatory floor via a drain which currently only takes away surface water.
Talk to the LABCO. If he's not already involved then he needs to be - drainage changes are subject to Building Control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back