Musty cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an understairs cupboard that suffers greatly from a strong musty smell, also if things are left in there for a period of time, mould grows on them. I have laid hardboard down on the boards and put in a vent but this doesn't help, anyvbody have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
have you any idea where the damp is coming from!!!!

is it an outside wall !!! concrete floor!!!!

is there a possible source of water backing onto it as in sink toilet pipes [in and out]!!!

No outside walls, there is a large gap underneath the floorboards to the ground and as I say I have covered this in hardboard.

is the void under the floor vented on the outside wall on at least 2 sides!!!!

just thinking that the dampness under the floor may be taking the easiest route out if the vents are blocked under the floor

as for the vent you fitted you need air flow the air wont move if theres no change in pressure

Sponsored Links
Well, I've checked the air bricks and the wall cavities have been filled with small polystyrene balls, which have gone down between the air bricks, so I'm assuming that this is not good.
Any suggestions for clearing the air bricks?

Don't I've got those, anything I can do? Obviously I don't want to start knocking out bricks.

no choice I`m afraid .......they`ve got to come out and be replaced :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back