Myson Midas Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a Myson Midas Combi Boiler, The pilot light keeps on going out. I had a man come out to look at it and he firstly said that it was the thermo coupler??? and then changed his mind and said it was a problem caused by the boiler not switching off after the hot water has been used.

After checking with his head office he advised me that the parts he required were no longer made and if he could find one it would be £200+ I get the feeling that he is trying to get me to fork out for a new boiler which I do not want to do.

Can anybody offer me some help with regards to tracking down a parts supplier so I can check the availability and prices of parts myself.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating enginner, but searching through these forums tells me that a bad / old theromcouple can cause the pilot light to go out, as can partialy blocked gas inlet.

I would also agree with your concern, becasue if the parts are "not available" how come they will cost £200

I do not recomend you touch your boiler althogh some on this forum have mentioned they have changed a thermocouple, but why not get a 2nd opinion from a different compnay.

I just did a quick search, another form said that the thermo couple is the most likely.

but i would still get a 2nd opinion

dont want to offend but. Never heard a good word said about the midas. most eng wont touch them as they never seem to have just one fault at a time. mison had big problems with the pcb. i havent seen one for 10 years but i cant recall them haveing a thermocouple I thought they were all electronic ignition ?. how old is your boiler ? the serial number usually has the date in it

COG said:
dont want to offend but. Never heard a good word said about the midas. most eng wont touch them as they never seem to have just one fault at a time. mison had big problems with the pcb. i havent seen one for 10 years but i cant recall them haveing a thermocouple I thought they were all electronic ignition ?. how old is your boiler ? the serial number usually has the date in it

completely agree with COG myson made some terrible boilers (shiver)\

Save your cash and replace it it is my totally bias advice

Sponsored Links
I have had similar problems with the pilot Light. There is no thermo couple on this boiler, it is electronic ignition. My problem was dry joints on the connectors to the control PCB (LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE CONTROL BOARD). however i do still have one problem which is that the boiler cannot keep up a good flow of hot water for a shower or bath. The CH side is fine. Any ideas out there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back