Mystery wiring between Amptec boiler and Economy 18 meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the end of last year I had my ancient LPG boiler replaced with a 12Kw Amptec wet electric boiler. I intended to switch to Powergen's E10 tariff at the same time but my installer said this was unnecessary. As I expected, the winter electricity bill was horrendous and I decided that E10 was essential.

However, my electricity provider, Powergen have recommended their new E18 tariff as a more appropriate solution than E10 (E18 = Peak rates7.00am to 9am, 2.00pm to 4.00pm and 6.00pm to 8.00pm plus a cheap night rate and a lower tariff during the remaining 11 hours, determined by the load on the grid and controlled by radio teleswitching).

The meter operator, Siemens, are ready to install an E18 meter but have said that there must be additional wiring between meter and boiler to control the afternoon boost.

My installer does not know what wiring is required. Siemens help desk can't tell him. Neither can Powergen. I have asked the manufacturers, Heatrae Sadia and await their reply.

In the meantime, can anyone who has had experience of wiring an Amptec boiler to an E18 meter shed light on this well-kept secret? If so, any advice would be welcome as we seem to have come to a standstill.

Sponsored Links
Old economy seven was done by having two consumer unit and one radio teleswitch. This used to change loads deppending one the time indicated on the teleswitch.The old controllers used to be wired to each board seperately and when the telesitch switched over the controller could be always be used. This way has long since been done away with due to high and low rate reading meters which tells the supplier how many units are used at each rate but you still need and economy seven style controller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back