1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a cooker hood - very little vertical clearance

Discussion in 'Appliances' started by CptKernow, 4 Feb 2016.

1. CptKernow

CptKernow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've just had an old chimney breast opened up in the kitchen and am going to stick our cooker in there. As there is a clear route out I'd obviously like to vent an extractor up the old flue - which in itself is not a problem.

The problem is down to the shape of the chimney. The flue feeds off from one side of the chimney breast and the top of the breast is lined with bricks and steel making it nigh on impossible to dig it out above the lintel.

So, as it stands there is a maximum of 200mm clearance before hitting the top. This doesn't seem to be enough vertical room to fit the hood and ducting for every model I've looked at.

Any ideas?
    Can you get cooker hoods without extractors and I could just put in an inline fan?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Chimney flue not good for kitchen extraction, all that grease up there [grease filters only remove some] easy to get a fire up there and grease/condensation dripping down.
    200mm on oven top? not enough room to lift one pan over another?

4. CptKernow

CptKernow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The 200mm is the clearance above the line of the lintel. There is another 800mm below that.
    And as mentioned I would be lining the chimney with ducting.

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The grease etc would still drip form any lining.

6. rsgaz

rsgaz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Look at "visor hoods", they are much more compact vertically...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/extractor+visor+hood

Not sure if any of them come with a rear exit for ducting though due to their size, so you'd want a "100mm ducting elbow" on top and vent to outside if it's on an external wall.

Gaz :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the same type of chimney in my kitchen with the hobs in the "fire place". As mentioned a vertical flue up the chimney is not going to work well unless it has means to cope safely with the condensation of moisture and grease on the liner.

So far no extractor due to the problems of the exhaust.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links