Need advice on which hinges to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After deciding on installing internal shutters instead of curtains. I now need to figure out what materials to get

Quite simply, in order to cover the window I will need 4 panels.

Each panel will be 20 inches wide.

2 panels will fold back on each side.

Hopefully by now you are getting a picture in your mind of what I am doing.

I need to be able to fold the 2 panels back to the wall. And I would like the movement to be smooth and easy. Therefore I am looking for some kind of hinge that will not only take the wait of 2 panels, but offer the smoothness I desire together with the feature of being able to be folded flat.

Oh the other important thing is that when the panels are covering the window, I must not be able to see any gaps

Sponsored Links
You might want to half-lap the edges of the doors to stop the light getting through. This was a standard detail on Viccy originals.

heeelllooo freestyle

depends on materials are you talking about 18mm thick frame with inset panels or sheet material
are they going to fit in the window opening or cover the window surrounds
piano hinges are fairly good in two points spread the load over a maximum area with small screws and are relativly good at closing the gap between surfaces

unless you intend to make the panels quite beefy i would opt for the piano hinge[i am shure jasonb may have a better hinge :LOL: ]

how tall do you envisage the pannels being

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. At this planning stage, they will sit outside the window frame and fold either side of the window...

the height is about a yard (sorry exact measurements are not to hand)

I have found a picture of what I am trying to do..
http://www.theshutterandblindcompany.co.uk/sh-solid.htm

Ideally I should buy the shutters form a company like this but can't afford it !

suggest you by the wood from a wood yard as more stable than the sheds

do you have a router!!
do you intend to mortice x t the joints!!
if youve got all these points in hand just egnore meee if you need more help shout ;)

freestyle said:
Ideally I should buy the shutters form a company like this but can't afford it !
The cheap option would be to buy a wide contiboard and fit them to the double door runner top and bottom then take them out and put then under your bed when not needed. A bit of pain keep doing this way. The door slide in top first then drop to the bottom runner as you do in sliding door cabinet.

I would use a piano hinge between the two panels and a parliament hinge at the hanging side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back