Need fix-it for poor flushing, old (70s) toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a toilet with an old, plastic cistern which apparently was quite common in the 70s - it's a thin cistern and the flush is a large push down button. The siphon has a lever mechanism that turns the downwards push into an upwards pull on the flush.

The flush is very poor on it now - repeated pushing of the button required to get more than a weak, partial flush. Full flush seems to happen by chance more than anything. Very annoying.

After reading some old posts it seems that replacing the siphon is what's needed. However I don't seem to be able to find this old style, lever mechanism tyrp of siphon. Any suggestions on where to get a siphon or how to fix this otherwise? TIA

Sponsored Links
Is the knob a rectangular one n the middle, curved on one long side? If so, Fordham Flush Panel - syphons still available.

Hi there, yes that is exactly it. Is Fordham Flush panel the name of the cistern itself?

So therefore I am looking for a replacement siphon to fit a Fordham Flush Panel?

Just make a new Diaphram for your existing siphon if u cannot find a source for a new one, easy job, just remove siphon from cistern, remove diaphram and use as a template to cut a new one. plastic from a 5 litre
oil container or bleach container etc will do the job

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I might try this. What does the diaphragm actually look like and where is it in the siphon mechanism?

jimmy1234 said:
Just make a new Diaphram for your existing siphon if u cannot find a source for a new one, easy job, just remove siphon from cistern, remove diaphram and use as a template to cut a new one. plastic from a 5 litre
oil container or bleach container etc will do the job
Sorry.too thick..needs to be a fertiliser bag thickness IMHO ;) Fkin Fordam flush panel :evil: used to be a replacemrnt for the old high level cisterns.where the pan was too close to the back wall..surprised any left

You will have to take the syphon out of the cistern.

The diaphram is at the end of a rod that your lever device pulls up. It is a thin piece of flexible plastic supported by a perforated/open plate. It has no doubt torn over use.

All you have to do is undo the connection from the lever to the rod, pull the rod and diaphram assembly out of the syphon chamber, remove the diaphram and replace with a similar one and reverse the process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back