Need help with conservatory door lock please :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Have recently moved into a new house which has locks on one of the doors ( top and bottom ) . looking at the screwfix site i think they are called rack bolts ??

The problem is , the previous owner did not leave a key so can only open one door ! This is disastrous in this v hot weather and we are melting !

Are the keys for these locks all the same , in which case can i order a set from screwfix and just use the key or do i have to get a locksmith to change the locks completely for me ? :confused:

Thankyou in advance for your help
X
Single Mum with no DIY knowledge at all !! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
sarahboo72 said:
Hi there

Have recently moved into a new house which has locks on one of the doors ( top and bottom ) . looking at the screwfix site i think they are called rack bolts ??

The problem is , the previous owner did not leave a key so can only open one door

Ha ha, yes, they are all the same. You can probably get one in any hardware store for a couple of pounds. If you already have one key
you can pull the key out of one door and carry it to the other.
p2338775_l.jpg

there are various brands, the Chubb are very good, but I suspect the Yale are just the same (all brass). You can get some cheap ones with a plastic tube :rolleyes:

If you have a door with glass on it you should take the keys out when you leave the house or go to bed as someone might break the glass and undo them. Also, when the key is the hole, it is possible to push the bolt back with a tool, but when the key is removed the bolt is locked. If you are taking out the keys to go to bed, then, as a precaution against needing to get out urgently e.g. in case of fire, hang the key on a hook on the corner of the door or window frame, and make sure everyone in the house knows where it is. Preferably where someone reaching through broken glass won't find it.

If you are using them for e.g. a bathroom you can get a fixed knob to operate them, but this is not secure.
p1196022_s.jpg

hi and thanx for that ,

and no , its not as simple as carrying the key from one door to the other ;)
they are double doors and one has a normal lock with key and the other has rack bolts top and bottom
it is good to know that the key are standard tho , will be easier to replace.

thank again

sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back