Need to raise the kitchen floor level ~ help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am extending the kitchen into the coal cellar after knocking through.
The floor level in the coal cellar is between 1.25 to 1.5 inches higher than the floor level in the kitchen.
Is this too thin to overlay with a concrete screed, any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
how big is the coal cellar floor?

would it not be wise to dig up and re-lay the cellar floor with insulation and membrane etc?

noseall said:
how big is the coal cellar floor?

would it not be wise to dig up and re-lay the cellar floor with insulation and membrane etc?

Hi nose all, great minds think alike, that did cross my mind last night as the cellar is around 8 foot x 4 foot, I really appreciate your reply and I am going to investigate the depth of the concrete this weekend. Knowing my luck it will be a meter deep :confused:
Thank you.

your coal cellar [cupboard]may not have damproof membrane cavity walls or a damp proof course !!!!!

would the floor not also be impregnated with coal dust!!!!

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
your coal cellar [cupboard]may not have damproof membrane cavity walls or a damp proof course !!!!!

would the floor not also be impregnated with coal dust!!!!

Dead right big-all house 150+ years old no damproof membrane, no cavity walls, no dampcourse and floor impregnated with coal dust so I have all the problems, typical :cry: Thanks for the email.

sorry didnt want to state the obvious :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

its just if you where fitting a damp proof membrane you would resolve the problem by digging out a bit deeper to bring the floor level
or if the external door [assuming it had one ;) ] would be fairly level with the surrounding ground you would need to provide some damp protection like a damp proof course which would require the ground outside to be below this level
but hay you know all this any way ;)

big-all said:
sorry didnt want to state the obvious :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

its just if you where fitting a damp proof membrane you would resolve the problem by digging out a bit deeper to bring the floor level
or if the external door [assuming it had one ;) ] would be fairly level with the surrounding ground you would need to provide some damp protection like a damp proof course which would require the ground outside to be below this level
but hay you know all this any way ;)

Hi big-all,even the smallest thing that anyone is not aware of can stop the house falling down, we are learning something every day, I really appreciate any feedback. I will put a membrane in the new section providing the existing concrete is not too deep, and yes the kitchen floor is roughly 14 inches above the outside ground level. I was gonna have a look today but thought better of it, do not want to disturb the neighbours so I will have a look next week.

Really appreciate your comments, thank's again :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back