Need to stop the draught from the fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Valor Turbochim fireplace in my lounge. There is a bloody great draught blowing through it whenever it is not switched on (which is most of the time).

Does anybody know if/where I can get any sort of automatic flue damper/closer to block the flue when the fire is switched off? Obviously it would have to open automatically when the fire was switched on.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No you cannot have a flue damper in an open flue....it should always be pulling some air up the flue....that is a good thing!

I am not aware of any automatic flue dampers - for use with domestic gas fires - that are available in the UK. They are available is the US (e.g. Flue Sentinel), but the cost of importing one and having it installed (assuming it is possible) may be prohibitive.

Also, such a device would have to satisfy the conditions in regulation 32(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, by preventing gas being supplied to the burner unless the damper is fully open and providing adequate pre-ignition purging and burner post purging (on flame failure).

As ollski indicated, manually operated damper systems are prohibited, by this regulation, even if they are interlocked to the gas supply (because of the purging requirement).

There's a HSE data sheet on Automatic Flue Closing Devices (AFCD) HERE.

Thanks both for your info. If you are still out there maybe you could advise whtether the following facts make any difference to your previous replies:

1. The fire is mounted in an external wall with the flue right behind it. As such, the flue is just a few inches long.

2. The fire has a built in extractor fan. You cannot switch on the gas unless you switch on the fan first. Also, if the fire detects that the flue is blocked, or that the fan has failed, the gas will be automatically shut down.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
From your description, the flue is an integral part of the fire. Therefore, you really need to seek advice from the manufacturer.

They may be able to offer an alternative flue terminal, but I suspect that they will just recommend replacing the fire with a glass-fronted, room sealed, model.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back