1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbour building a big garage without PP

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by mrbg07546, 27 Dec 2018.

1. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The BRE 45 degree 'rule' doesn't apply to buildings opposite (as it doesn't work as it will always fail). It's instead used to asses rear extensions impacting adjacent windows.

Unfortunately as you have 2 kitchen windows the likelihood of it failing any daylight tests is probably slim. Especially as a single storey building and the existing fence is 6 feet tall already - so impact will be very slight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Up to 13 , going for the record :D

4. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I realise I'm only making things worse, but please don't 'go for the record', not on this one.

5. wwwebber

wwwebber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I disagree - I am enjoying watching this one so please 'go for the record'

6. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’m happy to keep you all updated as I have had responses that that they don’t want the neighbour “getting away with this” equally I’m thankful of all the great advice I’ve been given.

7. jeff the gasman

jeff the gasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s going to be a nice big garage. I’m jealous.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeff the gasman

jeff the gasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An application has been out through.

http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.go...Document-E88E111B1D0B3643B77C4FF785A9CD29.pdf

Few questions.

1. There has been suggestion the position from my house means I won’t get a objection based on light. I can’t seem to see this?
    https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/669/45_degree_code_for_residential_extensions

2. There is no dropped curb or reference to the gate moved forward and pillars built.

3.there is no reference on drawings to the fact it’s in front of projection of house.

4. What’s the deadline to object?

Many thanks

10. Sponsored Links
  11. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Also I have noticed, the red around the site plan is bigger than the title deeds. It covers where the postbox sits

12. jeff the gasman

jeff the gasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nice big garage though.
    I’m still jealous.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1. The code is for rear extensions to adjacent houses in a terrace and the impact on rear windows. Not development opposite or to the side which is your case as it doesn't work. In any case your kitchen has two windows and the impact on daylight I expect to be minimal to non-existent if it were to be worked out.

2. A dropped kerb doesn't have to be dealt with through planning. Unless the dropped kerb creates a safety hazard or causes the loss of on-street parking it won't be a problem.

3. I can't see the drawing as the link supplied doesn't work, but there should be a block/site plan showing adjacent houses.

4. The expiration of the consultation period should be listed on-line, on the site/street notice, and on any consultation letters the council sends out if they chose to do letter notifications (no obligation).

The red line should be shown around the area of works - it has absolutely nothing to do with ownership. However if it extends beyond their demise they should declare so on the planning form that they do not own all the land, and accordingly must issue notice to the owners of other land on which they are applying. (Anyone can apply for planning permissions anywhere). This doesn't give them right to carry out that work, they would then still need agreement with the owner of the land to do so.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Big thanks

https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk...lorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/Menus/PL.xml

Application number (if the above link don’t work)

2019/02170/PA

Below is title deeds vs site plan

Attached Files:

15. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Strange that the LPA feel the need to redact the applicant's name and details on the form, but not the agent's. I understand the name should be visible. Also if redacting personal information then surely they should also do for the agent too. Anyway, arguing this point is only likely to enrage the council so I wouldn't bother as you know who it is anyway!

If you look at the application form:

Questions 7, 8 and 9 are all very clearly wrong.

They are proposing new vehicle access (7). It will result in the loss of on street parking and create a new drive/garage (8), and the site can clearly be seen from the road (9).

Question 12 is also wrong regarding ownership. It should say they don't own all the land and be certificate B (not A), and they should serve notice on any other owners they have applied for planning on their land.

It's embarrassing the LPA have validated this.

Pointing out the above isn't going to stop an approval, but you could point out the above to the LPA that the application should be invalidated.

If you want to achieve maximum annoyance to your neighbour you could wait a bit before doing near the end of the Public Consultation Period Ends which is listed as 11-04-2019. If they then invalidate near that date they'll have to submit extra information and then start the whole process again from that date.

Just FYI anything you submit to the council will go on the file and be publicly available at the council offices should anyone wish to look at the physical file. They might redact information online but they can't redact the actual file and you can't object anonymously to effect.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok. Yes these look like obvious issues.

Would you,

1) contact councillor and say “xyz is wrong with application form” and the councillor informally asks the enforcement/ planning team. This is because u believe councillor wants it down ASAP. And if I do 2) it may slow it down.

2) email planning team explaining issues to veryify. This may delay the enforcement?

3) do nothing and mention in object letter.

On another point. Can I email in my objection letter ?

17. kingandy2nd

kingandy2nd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Not sure that’s all true, as I don’t think the OP has been entirely accurate.

8A598698-1A0F-42EB-A0F5-CFAD8780D2BE.png

Entrance has been there for some time, as has part of the building he/she is objecting too.

As for land ownership, you don’t know who owns the land unless you get a copy of the deeds. Otherwise the OP might not own the first couple of feet of their front garden either.

• Like Like x 1