1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbour building a big garage without PP

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by mrbg07546, 27 Dec 2018.

1. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That’s true. I don’t own the first couple of feet. My deeds confirm that. The deeds of neighbours are similar

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They don’t have dropped curb. And the gates have moved 2 meters forward with a pillar and a backing sheet put on gates

4. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If they don't know who own's the front strip then it should be Certificate C - so still wrong regardless.

I'm assuming the grass verge is in highways ownership.

If someone else owns the strip then it's even more illogical and they are trespassing.

Re vehicular access - if they don't have a dropped kerb they don't have legitimate vehicular access from the highway. Whether they drive on and over the footpath and verge is another matter.

5. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    On another note they should have planning permission for that fence too as it fronts a highway - and therefore limited to 1m height without consent.

6. kingandy2nd

kingandy2nd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But you’ve put a driveway across that strip...why can’t your neighbour?

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeff the gasman

jeff the gasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Because his neighbour wants a nice big garage and I’m jealous of it.
    I’ve only got a shed!

8. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Also just noticed question 4 on the application form is also wrong and clearly false information is being submitted. They have said "no" to "Has the work already been started without consent?"... very clearly it has. Again another reason the application should be invalidated.

It is ridiculous the LPA have validated this when they know they have started works as they have threatened them with enforcement.

For retrospective consent the existing drawings usually show the house before works started, whereas they appear to be showing works that have recently been undertook but do not have consent. These works should be shown on the proposed as they are seeking consent for this.

From a highway safety point of view the gates are also probably too close to the road. Usually they are are required to be sufficiently far back to enable someone to pull off the road and then open the gates.

9. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm not sure anyone is debating whether they should be able to put a drive across a verge, but rather noting how they have gone completely the wrong way about seeking consent to do it.

To further confuse matters because that's what we all need...

Legally speaking you also usually technically own the verge anyway under common law (you own to mid point of the road), but have to allow public passage to the highway part, and for highways to maintain etc.

How this affects Certificate A,B,C etc. I have no idea. Maybe Cert A is okay, if highways and they do indeed own to mid point of the road. But chance the verge is owned by someone else and the adjacent houses have a right of way over it.

For a bit of fun:

If they get consent, once they are done you could point out the form says "tiles" to the roof. But as it is a flat roof that will be impossible - so assuming they do ply or bitumen etc. they still won't have complied.

Is any part of that form correct???

Last edited: 23 Mar 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Interesting. When we purchased house, we had a leasehold as well as freehold, the solicited recommended we do not combine them as it is to do with easement/right of way.but they couldn’t define exactly what leasehold is for

12. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I genuinely think the applicant is up to something . Maybe this gives him a excuse to withdraw and resubmit? Maybe that’s why application has validated because council know the trick?

13. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you. They said they can’t invalidate it based on other questions. But question 12 they are now going back to agent;) thanks again as I used what you said.

14. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Please post pictures when the garage is finished :)

15. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Or gets knocked down I hoped? Lol

16. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They definitely can invalidation because the form has been submitted incorrectly and "Has the work already been started without consent?" is clearly wrong.

It also raises question's about the declaration made by the agent at the end of the form I.e. "I/we hereby apply for planning permission/consent as described in this form and the accompanying plans/drawings and additional information. I/we confirm that, to the best of my/our knowledge, any facts stated are true and accurate and any opinions given are the genuine opinions of the person(s) giving them.

17. soon be up to 15 .:)

Sponsored Links