1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbour building a big garage without PP

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by mrbg07546, 27 Dec 2018.

1. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Permitted Development has never stipulated a requirement for works to not be visible from the highway or to look good.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    true but I still expect it to be rejected on out of scale , mass, not in keeping. Overbearing etc

4. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think the point Leofric is making, is similar to what I have noted on page 5, which is that they could simply detach from the house, say by half a meter, and tweak design and it would fall under PD rules. Then there is literally nothing the Local Authority can do about it:

5. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeh true. But the ground gets lower and they have to keep it under 2.5 meters. And it will stop the ability to park 4 cars (2 in front of garage). Remember now it sits 3.15Meteres high without finishing. Eqaullly they would have to build into the block paving.

That may be reasonable and less wall. However if they do this they will probably have to go within 1 meter of wall in which case they would need BC. Enforcement can be done on BC if wall doesn’t have correct foundation as it’s a safety issue.i heard cost of moving postbox is 4K.

6. I was actually just being a bit sarcsastic about permitted development rules not seeming to be too bothered about the appearance of extensions.
    Anyway , must be the record now , well done to all (y):)

7. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lots of wishful thinking going on, here. It will be approved. No matter how many forums it's discussed in :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is there any value in attending/speaking at a planning comitee

9. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes there is, especially if you believe there is hidden collusion between applicant and councillors
    Do your homework though, you need to be able to explain (in 2 minutes) which paragraph(s) of legislation/local plan would be breached by permitting the development. Don't bang on about it being an eyesore. You can mention in a factual non-emotional way that this is not the first time the applicant has thrown something up then been subject to enforcement action.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just a update. 9 weeks now, and no amended plans on site. Should I chase up with councillors?

12. Donald_diy

Donald_diy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is nextdoors current project complete ?

13. lt8480

lt8480

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ask the council if they will enforce. If not they are basically accepting its okay.

14. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was going to wait for outcome of planning application which will determine enforcement?

It’s 9 weeks
    Do you think a email to planners/enforcement team is due?

It does say complex applications are 13 weeks however there’s been no amendments of plans.
    Thanks

15. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Still looking forward to seeing the pictures when it's finished. How long do you think they have to go?

16. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Email to planning dept- polite but noting that the time limit for plans submission for project ref whatever it is has passed/is imminent and no local residents have had the opportunity to inspect the plans. Have you received a standard letter saying 'an application has been received etc etc'- if not then they almost certainly haven't submitted any plans & thus their application might fail due to being out of time.
    EDIT CC to your ward councillors (or whichever ones you/others have had dealings with over this project)

17. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes received a letter. Local society and Counciller on comitee emailed me to to tell me she will object.

Just to confirm they did submit plans but no amended plans.