1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbour building a big garage without PP

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by mrbg07546, 27 Dec 2018.

1. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the gates been move forward which I also told the planning guy about. Who would I contact regarding the health and safety and the alteration of floor by postbox

2. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: 2 Feb 2019
  3. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wonderful thank you all!

5. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Poor workmanship

Attached Files:

6. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If this is on to a classified road, you'd need Highways approval, and you won't get it. They require pedestrian sight lines of 45 degrees.

I applied to change my front fence to a dwarf wall and fence to reduce noise and frankly it was a waste of money applying - they would not consider anything that deviated from current rules, even though I already have a fence and gate. The planning lady was nice enough to point out that I can do what I like to what is there already from a maintenance point of view.

The problem with enforcing against bankrupts, is that you have absolutely no teeth. Fees and fines just wont bother them. There is nothing a bailiff or sherif can take.

7. -AndyH-

-AndyH-

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Failing to comply with an enforcement notice is a criminal offence. If prosecution in the County Court does not work, the LPA can go to the High Court where judges take a very dim view towards non-compliance. There are many cases where people have been jailed for failing to comply with an enforcement notice.

8. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If they've done that block paving across a public pavement then they really are taking the mick. They'd have needed approval from Highways first (which they wouldn't have got due to post box among other things), then there are specific requirements for contractors working on public highways (large PL cover to start with). Unless they've compacted it really well those blocks will sink, there's already 10mm between block and kerb, make it 25 & where there's blame there's a claim (for trip hazard). Council won't be interested, little point sueing a serial bankrupt (apart from for fun), def get local paper on board & point out these things- your neighbours are blithely creating hazards for the rest of the world, they need stopping.

9. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sure - but they haven't even started yet.

I'm surprised a builder is willing to do this work - they risk a criminal damage prosecution themselves. A reasonable person would seek evidence of authority before clearly undertaking work on public land.

10. -AndyH-

-AndyH-

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Enforcement isn't a quick thing, except in cases where there is harm to a listed building/tree etc. and the LPA can seek an injunction.

Even if the Council were to issue an enforcement notice, the owner would have a right of appeal to the Planning Inspectorate which could take up to one year to determine. Unfortunately, planning laws are really designed for honest, law abiding people rather than those who do what they want with little regard for the correct procedures and processes.

If the Council's officers aren't interested, then ask the Development Control Committee for an enforcement report.

The whole point of enforcement action is to remedy the breach, rather than seek financial gain. If the unlawful development results in a loss of amenity for neighbouring properties and a previous application was turned down, then the LPA should be seeking enforcement action as it's most likely to be expedient.

Even if the owner is bankrupt, it doesn't stop the LPA for applying to the court for a confiscation order (clearly he has assets). Things really do heat up when an enforcement order takes effect and there is non-compliance.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mrbg07546

mrbg07546

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As a update. It seems someone has lifted up a lot of the block paving in protest. I seen my cctv and it’s a older person who did it. I know them and they are very polite

12. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Does he want to sell them to me? :LOL::LOL:

13. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tomorrow morning's job- take a pic with your phone of the big hole in the pavement, phone the council (if they're like ours there'll be a contact centre), get put through to whoever deals with pavement problems & tell them (with emailed pic) that there's a massive hazard which needs fixing now.

14. kingandy2nd

kingandy2nd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I assume you will also be reporting this person to the police for criminal damage?

15. dishman

dishman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is really disheartening that someone can be so brazen, ignore all the rules that others diligently follow, and the local council are often too stretched to bother doing anything....