Neighbour not maintaining gutter - causes damp in our house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice please:

We have a shared gutter the runs along the front of our propert, a Victorian Semi. The down pipe is on our neigbours side of the divide, we have others on the side. Just on the neighbours side of the downpipe, the guttering was bodged and cut too short to meet the down pipe joint correctly. Subsequently this leaks, and turns our garden into a quagmire and makes the bedroom damp when it rains. If I had a long enough ladder, I would just fix it - but I dont. The, neighbouring property converted into flats - the builder remains a landlord for one flat and leaseholder for others. We have politely asked that he fixes the guttering, but he refuses to have anything to do with despite the fact that it would be a simple job for him. Are there any regulations that force a neighbour to maintain their property to an appropriate standard so as not to cause damage to our property? Is there a regulation that is supposed to prevent owners discharging rainwater onto neighbouring property? Many thanks for any help or advice you may have.

Sponsored Links
It may be an expensive business to actually prove that rainwater from your neighbours house is causing your damp.

I think there are laws about discharging onto other peoples property, it is actually tresspass but that law has been watered down ( sorry ).

All in all he doesnt have to do anything untill you take him to court which will cost you money.

Is there anyway you could smash the downpipe and/or guttering when he isnt there so the water goes from your place and causes him grief, then he may get it fixed

to avoid the agro, why don't you hire a ladder from a tool hire place and just do the job yourself. I had exactly your problem and fixed the leak myself. The ladder costs £9 for the day and £10 to deliver and collect. Much cheaper than the subsequent replastering that would have occured if i'd left the leak whilst i tried to force the landlord to do his job.

Thank you for your suggestions - I had considered smashing his guttering, and hiring a ladder to fix it myself - I have my own 7m ladder but it doesnt get near it - cheapest 10m ladder is £40 - still might go down this route but this guy runs a building & roofing company and wont even lend me a ladder to do the job! He's off my list for the extension, as he appears to be going out of his way not to help or fix his own bodged work. I might pay for the work to be done, then recover costs through the small claims court. As we have legal protection with our insurance policy, I will ask my insurers if they would rather pursue a small claims court fee as opposed to more costly plastering/redecorating claim later on.

Does anyone know what laws are being broken if he discharges his rainwater over my property?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Well if you have to use a 10meter --30 foot ladder to fix the leak i can understand why he doesnt bother, and you must be mad to get up that high as well--scaffolding yes--ladder no.

Well if you have to use a 10meter --30 foot ladder to fix the leak i can understand why he doesnt bother, and you must be mad to get up that high as well--scaffolding yes--ladder no.

If your going to court. Then start collating evidence, by taking pictures, or better still film what happens when it rains with a camcorder (not amobile phone).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back