Networking Hard Drive on Wireless Network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add a separate hard drive to my wireless network to contain data which can be accessed even though the main pc is switched off.

I would appreciate any ideas as to what hardware/software I will require in order to achieve this.

The reason for doing this is that I have purchased an wi-fi enabled internet radio which just plugs into the mains and can then access many internet radio stations through my wireless network.

The other main thing that it can do is to access audio files stored on a pc but this requires the pc to be left on all the time which I am not too keen on.

I have been told that the answer is to set up a separate hard drive, containing all the audio files, and make it part of the wireless network which will then allow the wireless to access all the files even when the main machine is switched off.

Sponsored Links
I think this will depend on the exact model of your internet radio.

Some will require you to install additional software on your PC which has the audio stored on it and this will mean that your PC will always need to be switched on, even if the audio files were stored elsewhere.

I don't know about the practicalities of using a wifi radio, I have a Buffalo linkstation (external Hard disk) which plugs directly into one of the network sockets on my wireless router which is accessable from anywhere on the network, sounds similar to what you are after, you'll need to check out wether or not you need the PC on as keifster says.

You will need some kind of network storage device. Something like this for example. Be patient, the page appeared slow to load when I tried.

Sponsored Links
Barbusa said:
Is that because of security issues or something else?

No. It's because they can be slow and wireless connectivity is more likely to be lost, just at that crucial moment.

Igorian said:
Barbusa said:

No. It's because they can be slow and wireless connectivity is more likely to be lost, just at that crucial moment.

I think I can tell which kind of files you've been trying to wirelessly access :LOL: :LOL:

Deluks said:
Igorian said:
Barbusa said:

I think I can tell which kind of files you've been trying to wirelessly access :LOL: :LOL:

I would normally say, "Don't reply to old posts", however, that was an amusing observation. :LOL:

Igorian said:

CAN BE SLOW ? ........ I'll write you a guarantee...... :eek:

John M said:
Igorian said:

CAN BE SLOW ? ........ I'll write you a guarantee...... :eek:

Do you think he'll still care?

Sponsored Links
Back