New Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a new wired alarm system but cannot decide on a make.

I am looking for reliability, ease of installation, ease of use, etc.
Are there any alarm engineers out there who can recommend a particular make and model of alarm from experiance?

Also i am looking at the possibility of adding a speech dialer so i can set and unset the alarm system via a telephone. Does this include the use of mobile phones as well as land lines?
Can the speech dialer be used with any panel or does the alarm panel need to be of a specific type?

Thanks,
Sparky24 :confused:

Sponsored Links
you will not get a specific reply.

alarm engineers will recomend what the company they work for fit most, or if S.E what they fit most

wait, some one will say fit the texecom range

a speach dialer does just that, it does not switch on or off an alarm, since a true speach dialer is the thing made by menvier (now cooper scantronic)

one of these will fit any panel, and jsut dial out when its told to

the texecom panels have one built in

The new smaller Galaxy panels have the ability to text you built in

me, i like ....................

but lets see, who knows what a "ring and set" panel is, and who made it.

Thanks breezer,
going back to the point about setting and unsetting the alarm using a telephone, i was looking at a Yale wire-free alarm and it quotes-

"facility to call up to 6 numbers as well as set/unset by remote control worldwide"

I thought this was done using a speed dialer. If not, how is this done. Is the facility available with hard wired systems and is it built in to the panel or an add on facility?

1) dont touch wireless with a barge pole

2) why do you want to uset it via the phone? you are not there, why unset it.

also it means there is the possibility some one else could turn it off.

a speach diialer TBH is as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

you are on hols, it calls you, what are you going to do about it? it only causes you worry.

Sponsored Links
The reason i was looking at a speach dialer was that i have relatives about 5 mins away and if alarm was activated it couls dial them and they could have a look and see if all ok etc.

but if they live 5 mins away they should be able to hear it.

but a standalone speach dialer can phone them but not turn off / on alarm, what if they are not in?

Ok point taken :) now i just have to find a good reliable make but do not have much to do with alarm side of things.

Largely depends on what your willing to spend . IMHO galaxy is the way forward. Installed loads of them over the years and they are pretty much bullet proof. You do pay a premium though. At the lower end of the scale a good all rounder for domestic installation is the pyronix sterling 10. ADI Gardiners sell the kit with a full text display keypad for just over a 100 quid and they seem to be reliable as well. They also sell a kit with 3 PIRS a contact some cable and a battery but not too sure on the price

galaxy= sack of................

its the way sideways, really annoying things with galaxy

only makes one tone

g3 you cant default eng code unless you have the plug on memory stick

g2, cct descriptors are done by txt at the rkp

g2 & g3 no, notification of final exit cct being open

different software for domestic and commercial (not a lot of use if you have the wrong one, but you can get round it)

g3 if you tell it one cct has different resistors than the other it says they are high resistance, microtech are aware of the problem

and thats jsut for starters

Well it's down to personal opinion really but galaxy are so damned reliable i've not found anything come close to them I know you ve pointed out a few foibles of it but I hardly think they make any difference in a domestic installation. I disagree with you about the final exit circuit notification as well. I have not encountered that problem on any galaxy system. It always gives you a warning on the panel and in the different tone with the keypad.

try it on a new g2 then.

the old galaxy 8,16 , 8+ 16+ yes, g2 no

lvsystems,
You say "At the lower end of the scale a good all rounder for domestic installation is the pyronix sterling 10"

What is the difference between the lower end and top end of domestic alarms?

breezer said:
wait, some one will say fit the texecom range

Fit the texecom range. :LOL: This is my personal panel of choice, but it is just what I am used to fitting, and others may be better / worse. (although IMO it is easy to fit and very reliable stuff)

Our branch of Gardiner Security won't sell to the public at any price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back