New battery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my alarm loses power the keypad and internal sounder fail to work but the external sounder goes off and will only reset once power is restored. Would I be right in thinking that changing the battery in the control panel will sort this or is there any other factors I should take into account?
Cheers, Tim.

Sponsored Links
Most likely the battery is at fault or it could be the battery fuse. If you have multi meter you can test this. With the battery removed you should be reading around 12-12.5 v dc. With the battery leads connected you should be reading 13.5 v dc (average)

If you don't see the 13.5 v check the fuse on the main PCB should be marked.
What panel is this on ?

New batteries easily available from Elec wholesalers or maplins. Make sure you get the same size

Let us know how you get on

Yeah it sounds like a failed panel battery. You might want to also check the battery fuse in the panel is still intact.

<edit> bah, beaten by the newbie!

depending on brand, batteries should be changed every 5 years at most

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
depending on brand, batteries should be changed every 5 years at most

This one's got 1999 written on it in marker so I guess it's due a change!

its not theoldest i have seen.

came across one, hidden away that was 15 years old, totaly @&*%+*

Was it still connected ? If it was i'm sure that battery was nicely overcharging and well cooked !

breezer said:

I've came accross batteries in emergency lights that are over 20 years old and still going strong, you then have to explain to the customer why you want to change their working em lights as well as their faulty ones!

breezer said:

I keep checking mine, a Yuasa 7Ah installed in June 1999. Still in excellent nick, holding its charge well.

They are worth their weight in gold.

thats what you think :LOL:

the problem with rechargables is the discharge curve, it drops off very raplidly.

Even Yuasa say change them at 5 years of age and 6 years is pushing it.

i really do suggest you change it now.

odd fact about Yuasa batteries.

They are made in Wales and have no leeks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back