New blowtorch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's time to get a new blowtorch - now that the flame on Old Faithfull seems incapable of getting even 15mm hot under the collar, I think his retirement beckons :(

Please can anyone make any recommendations for a fairly compact torch? I don't need it to do more than 28mm - does anyone have a favourite or a pet hate?

Sponsored Links
I use an autotorch like what they have now in BNFNQ for 40 quid
cant remember the name of it right now though ... They sell the same one with different names on it but you can see they are all made in the same factory. Use it with MAPP gas for hotter burning temp.
The downside to them is they don't fair very well after a jump [with double pike] from loft to landing
A a bigger point is make sure you turn it off before you put it in your van as when it falls over it could potentially torch your van. My son in law is also a plumber and only yesterday he did that trick filling his van full of gas. Now I know why van insurance goes up as soon as you tell them that you carry a blowtorch.
Before that I had a bullfinch autotorch with separate calor bottle till some scruffy little street scally stole it

Kev that is a safety feature.

The torch from B&Q causes Rothernburger gas canisters not to shut off when the torch is saperated from the canister. Perhaps the one I had was faulty.

Also, fire the torch when saperated from the canister, as small amount of gas will iginte if ignition is activated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I shall go shopping armed with all that knowledge. Rothen's always do seem good - I've never regretted buying a tool of that brand.

Softus said:
now that the flame on Old Faithfull seems incapable of getting even 15mm hot under the collar

The handheld propane and MAPP gas torches we have over here have an orifice in them that restricts the maximum flow of fuel into the burner tube.

Are you sure the problem isn't just a dirty/plugged orifice?

Thanks for the thought NK, but it's 20 years old, has been dropped more times than Paul Gascoigne, won't always turn off, won't always light easily, won't ever give a good shape on the flame, and has become a downright pain in the a*se to use.

This thread really should be in the plumbing forum where it was originally posted. A torch is a "tool" (kinda, I guess), but it's exclusively a PLUMBING tool. You hardly ever use it for anything except plumbing.

So, only people who do plumbing work are going to know enough about torches to have an informed opinion to share. If there were a discussion about knitting needles, I think it would be better to leave it in the knitting forum than move it into the "tools" forum, too. Ditto for drum sticks, guitar picks and chop sticks, all of which can be considered "tools" (kinda, I guess).

Nestor_Kelebay said:
This thread really should be in the plumbing forum where it was originally posted. A torch is a "tool" (kinda, I guess), but it's exclusively a PLUMBING tool. You hardly ever use it for anything except plumbing.
I entirely agree. I hadn't even noticed that it had been moved.

Mod(s) - did you move this topic? If you did, would it not be a good idea to point out to me that I'd made an error, if indeed I had made one?

I use a Bernzomatic TS7000 auto torch with MAPP. My Boss uses a Roth' branded one and they are identical.

The only thing I had to do was nip up the grub screw (1.5mm) after above mentioned boss abused it for a few days.

Reccomended.

Chris

Try B&Q before you buy a rothenberger, they sell Benzomatic torches which are made by rothy, & about £20 cheaper.

keego said:
Try B&Q before you buy a rothenberger, they sell Benzomatic torches which are made by rothy, & about £20 cheaper.

I use an autotorch like what they have now in BNFNQ for 40 quid
cant remember the name of it right now though ... They sell the same one with different names on it but you can see they are all made in the same factory.

Thanks Keego for putting the names to the faces ;)

This is all incredibly helpful - thanks to one and all. I'll put on a disguise and head for BNFNQ shortly.

Moderator note
Moved at your request Softus, as you will probably get a better input in that forum.

Thanks Moderator! :)

I've got a not-very-old Rothy and the splining on the flame adjuster has stripped already, so adjusting the valve is iffy. My previous one was the same make and the cylinder screw threads wore out. Nothing's perfect these days!

I also had a Turbotorch (?) good flame but could NOT be used with the flame turned down - a major limitation. (The blast tube overheated.)

A torch is a "tool" (kinda, I guess), but it's exclusively a PLUMBING tool. You hardly ever use it for anything except plumbing.

Does a blow torch not get used for roofing leadwork (yes i know you could argue that its traditionally a plumbers craft) and decorating as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back