New boiler installation: flue position question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is my first post and I hope someone can help me.
I am installing a Vaillant 831 condensing combi boiler and want to know if it is legal to have the boiler mounted high on a wall, on the ground floor, with the right angle flue going out through the wall effectively in the floor space between the ceiling and floor of upstailrs. It is going in the kitchen and the ceiling is not that high. If I can do this, then I can hide the boiler inside a kitchen wall cabinet and it will line up with the rest of the kitchen cabinets. Otherwise I will be left with one cabinet lower than the others, with a flue visible out of the top of it. Nothing like this is mentioned in the installation manual, only that there should be 20mm clearance above the flue.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you are not CORGI registered so one wonders why you are installing the boiler as it can give you some regulation and warranty issues.

I would say that it will be acceptable as long as there is adequate clearance to any combustible materials AND that the flue is going to remain inspectable within that cavity perhaps by lifting floor boards above?

Some others may not agee but it does depend very much on exactly how its done.

Tony

I doubt that would leave clearances as specified in the manual, for maintenance?
Maybe if you had a removable panel in the ceiling?

Thanks for the quick replys. This is an excelent forum. I wish I had descovered it sooner.

You are right, I am not a Corgi engineer and I am just installing the water pipes, but I still need to know where the boiler will be located on the wall. I plan to leave a hole in the ceiling, the size of the boiler and directly above it so you will be able to see/ reach the flue, but removing it would probably require removing the floor boards above it or building a hatch in the kitchen ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I
I would say that it will be acceptable as long as there is adequate clearance to any combustible materials AND that the flue is going to remain inspectable within that cavity perhaps by lifting floor boards above?
Tony

do you have a definition of "adequate clearance"?

The clearance above the boiler to the ceiling should be a minimum of 165mm for the 100mm flue and 246mm with a 125mm flue, but as always when fitting to the minimum clearances things are always more awkward :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back