New Build 1st Floor Flat - Can I lay real wood onto concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a flat on the 1st floor. It is a new build and I want to lay some real wood flooring into the lounge/kitchen and hallway (approx 30m2)

I have been to several places and have got different responses on how to lay flooring onto concrete surfaces. I want to lay oak flooring but am getting told my some shops i can glue to floor or i cant float the wood i want but am then told I can in another shop!

Can someone please give me some advice as I am getting lost!

a. Can I lay Solid Wood Flooring onto Concrete?
b. If I can lay onto concrete, what is the best way?
c. If I glue to floor will i come across problems in the future
d. I was advised I can float the flooring (oak) on a DPM underlay, is that ok? - this is my preference

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Option D, definitely.
for glueing you have to have a high quality concrete floor and in our experiences that's hardly the case in new builds any more. Any dips in the concrete will create 'echo's.

When you install floating, not only use a DPM, but make sure you also use a suitable sound-insulation underlayment. In your case (apartment building) we recommend Timbermate Excell (two-in-one product)

Many thanks for that. Yes the underlay that I was intending to buy actually had both included which is good.

If i float the floor, is there a chance the floor will lift and "bow"?

Can you explain why ppl have different views (ie may shops say glue is the only option and floating is not possible for wooden floors?)

Why should a floor lift and bow? Only if there is too much moist in the air (or in screed/concrete for that matter) and then it will happen no matter what installation method you use.

Difference in preferred methods? Experience, manufacturers guidelines, traditions etc.
90% of all our floors we install floating with no problems what so ever ( solid, thick engineered, standard engineered, cork floorboards). We only glue down desigg parquet and when underfloor heating is involved.

Sponsored Links
WYL - Thanks again. Im going to go with a floating floor option.

I just remembered I am planning to go with a oak flooring which is a small plank around 10-12cm width - does this change things?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back