New Business, Fensa / Building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people, I am trying to decide wether to go Fensa registered or just go through building control.
I am not only going to be fitting windows/doors, I will be doing most aspects of home improvements/property maintenance.
If I'm fitting a property out with ALL new windows I can easily add the costs of building control (£77) to the price, the problem lies with the fitting of a single door or window, I can't add that figure to the price.
so is being Fensa registered the best option? even though I won't be fitting windows week in week out?
Your thoughts and opinions please. THANK YOU.

Sponsored Links
stric said:
If I'm fitting a property out with ALL new windows I can easily add the costs of building control (£77) to the price, the problem lies with the fitting of a single door or window, I can't add that figure to the price.

Golden rule of average: how many times will it happen you have to install all windows and how many times just the one?
Add a standard surcharge on your price to cover the average costs.
(say 6 windows in a job = £ 77.00/6 = £12.83; 4 windows = 77/4 = £ 19.25. Take one acceptable average to add to all your jobs, not per window)

Hope this helps

If the customer says they aren't bothered about me getting them a fensa certificate sorted for just one or two windows, Is that o,k? am I responsible for it or the customer? Am I in the clear as long as I explain to them that they should have one?
Many Thanks.

Sorry mate, no nothing about Fensa, know a lot about bookkeeping and costing ;)

Sponsored Links
Ultimately the homeowner is responsible for getting Building Regulations, but you should warn them that they are required. I have done a couple of jobs where the customer did not want a certificate. I put that in writing on my quotation.

Back