New Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of purchasing a property which is so old that it doesn't have a central heating system. There are 2 massive storage heaters on each floor. The property is split over 2 floors and comprises 2 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen, bathroom & hallway. Couple of questions:
1) Is it difficult to add in a central heating system to a house?
2) What is the approximate cost of adding a whole new system, from a boiler, 7 radiators
3) Is it cheaper to install electric storage heaters instead of a boiler & rads?

The property has had all its carpets taken off so at the moment there are bare floor boards, which I assume will be easier to install any heating system.

Sponsored Links
1) not difficult

2) get 3 quotesfrom local CORGI tradesman

3) Possibly will be cheaper to install more storage heaters, but I would get rid of them. Gas ch will increase value to your property more.

Tip, there is a grant via an installer who is registered with the A1 boiler scheme for fuel switching, i.e to remove storage heaters and change to gas ;)

What is this grant about? Is it some sort of incentive to switch from electric storage heater to gas central heating?

How long does it take to install a central heating system?
What is the average price of a boiler and aprox 7 radiators? I haven't yet bought the property and so cannot get someone in to give me an estimate on this, hence all the questions.

Yes its an incentive to remove storage heaters.

Hard to think of an average price as there are many factors, your area, quality boiler or cheapy, size of rooms, standard flue or vertical etc. All these make a difference.

Around my area an average price for good quality boiler & standard flue would be around £3200 to £3500 + VAT. Your area surrey I would guess it would be more!

One man band would take approx 4 days, larger company less if more labour available.

Most estate agents will let an installer have the keys to gain access for a quote.

Sponsored Links
They evidently work very fast in Norwich!

I would expect a good spec heating system in Surrey to be about £4800 inclusive with a new indirect HW cylinder.

A real cheapo without HW perhaps £3200 inclusive.

I think a one man would need at least 5-7 days for the first option.

Two would do it in about 3-4 days if they worked well together.

But I am talking about proper quality copper piped not questionable work with plastic rubbish.

Tony

The flat is empty and no carpets so lifting boards is easy. I think 4 days is about right for me on my own, combi installation, but I would allow the 5th day as an over run for unforseen probs occuring. If I finish on time would then use 5th day to catch up on servicing etc.

I only use traditional copper piping and fittings and always powerflush every job, even new systems ;)

Well perhaps but thats a combi installation and this will need a cylinder as well unless the owner wants to do a part job and continue heating water with electricity ( unless he has a multipoint ).

Its not really necessary to power flush a new installation as its adequate to use the boiler pump to circulate each rad at a time. It still needs to be done properly with the right chemicals and takes about two hours although you can do something else whilst its circulating.

Tony

Gas4you . Don`t justify yourself to someone who doesn`t fit systems. Be lucky if he has done half a dozen and won`t even use end feed fittings because he doesn`t trust them, hence his own ability to do a proper sound joint.

This is the type of job we jump at no furniture no carpets an no rip out before we start max 3 days and that includes half day flushing an setting up and as you say 4 days on your own unless an awkward shaped house.

Thanks namsag :) Still dont get why you need a cylinder fitted Tony. Combi is a lot easier to install and more efficient to run. He only has 1 bathroom :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back