New Combi Boiler Location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am trying to find out if I can have a Combi boiler fitted in a particular location in my home.

Firstly a brief history:
I currently have a rather ageing and slowly failing CH system which is as far as I can tell some 35 years old. I intend to replace the entire system during the summer, completing the radiator and pipework myself and so have come to the conclusion that it would be useful to know where the boiler is going, Hehe!

The existing boiler is wall mounted in the kitchen, the very small kitchen, hence my wish to locate the boiler elsewhere. I would like to have it installed on a wall, under the stairs, which backs onto the kitchen. At present this is a cupboard, you know the triangular understairs type, quite large and I intend to open out to be part of the hallway. This location is also about mid distance kitchen to bathroom as well as only about 2 meters from the gas meter.

My question is, is this permitted?

I know it is not quite as simple as that and I have downloaded and read a range of boiler fitting instruction, which usually contain info about distances from various conflicts. These do not appear to be a problem but do appear to vary slightly by manufacturer. The reason I ask is that after being pestered several times by a British Gas Rep I allowed him to quote for a replacement and he stated that the location I wanted was fine, however another local Corgi fitter said later 'absolutely not'. both wished to leave the existing plumbing and radiators in place and flush. I do not. I have been under the floor and seen the pipework and you do not need to be an expert to work out it is in need of replacement.

Just for the record, I have no intention of fitting the boiler myself, not my scene, but I do like plumbing / pipework and can't have the whole house disabled whilst the whole system is replaced. This way I can take my time and replace each radiator & pipework one at a time over a period of time
then employ a registered to supply (if it has to be) and fit a new boiler. (new cooker too at same time).

Sorry to have gone on so much and thanks in advance fro any help.

Chris :)

Sponsored Links
if its suitable via the regs then your the customer and you tell them what you want done, simple as that !!

there may even be people on here in your area than would like the job if this guy doesnt !!

Building control will tell you if the location is exceptable, and what if any fire proofing is required

Sorry to go off topic
but your old boiler isn't a old Glow-worm space saver 38 or 50
model by any chance.
I'm after a replacement pilot/on/off knob for my 33 year old boiler.

regards
IOM

Sponsored Links
mmalone said:
if its suitable via the regs then your the customer and you tell them what you want done, simple as that !!

there may even be people on here in your area than would like the job if this guy doesnt !!

Hi mmalone,
Thanks for the quick response!
problem is I ain't got no idea about 'regs' and I was kind of hoping some kind expert out there could explain or define what is required. All I can find, on the web and in various installation documents is a reference to BS.5376:2:1976 which apparently gives the required modification details for such locations as understair cupboards. My experience of BSs is that they are usually over complex and very expensive to buy, nor do I believe every Corgi engineer goes around with a copy in his toolbox, so I figured there must be some sort of general 'rule of thumb' so to speak.

Your second sentence is also a problem, coz poor little old joe public has to rely at the very least on a Corgi fitter to do the gas bits and if they wont do just the boiler, then it is a bit of a corner we are placed in, is it not?

Perhap you or someone else can suggest a Corgi engineer in the Portsmouth area who is willing to offer me the advice I need in exchange for the boiler work and commissioning at the end.

Regards
Chris

Chris

doitall said:
Building control will tell you if the location is exceptable, and what if any fire proofing is required

Hi doitall,
Numpty here - who is the 'Building Control', local council office I'm guessing?, suppose they will want money just for answering the question who ever they are.

Regards
chris

itsonlyme said:
Sorry to go off topic
but your old boiler isn't a old Glow-worm space saver 38 or 50
model by any chance.
I'm after a replacement pilot/on/off knob for my 33 year old boiler.

regards
IOM

Sorry itsonlyyou, but no, it's an old Baxi.

Regards
Chris

bogstandard said:
decide on your boiler and there should be details of where it can be placed Naturally one can download the details prior to purchase all combi positions are much of a muchness. Here one can download Glow worm placement details:
http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/catalogsitelet/product_detail.asp?idProduit=flexicomcx1[/QUOTE]

Thanks bogstandard,
Had a look at this document and it is pretty much as clear as most of the others i.e. it clearly defines positioning with respect to the flue, which I would be ok for, and it does mention cupboard ventilation etc. I suppose it is coming down to my question being, is it ok to fit it under the stairs? Them being wood and in theory the main exit from the house in the event of evacuation?

Best regards
Chris :rolleyes:

I can't see the pertinence of being under the stairs provided a "human" (not a contortionist) is able to fully service the boiler! If you liked you could plaster board under the stairs or use non asbestos type board. All the boilers air needs are drawn from without the building - probably unlike your current boiler. You must see that the flue complies fully in it's placement.

Corgy essential gas safety says:-

Understairs cupboard ventilation.

Where the premises in which the cupboard is located has more then two stories, the air vents shall be direct to outside air. See advice on high level ventilation openings in :

As I said you are allowed to locate under stairs but you need to consult with building control (Council) as you said, and they may or may not want to inspect which would include a small charge, for fire proofing requirements.

Go to your local office and say:-

I am going to have an condensing boiler fitted under the stairs, can you please tell me what regs I need to comply with.

they will be happy to tell you.

My son works for a Company in Chichester, if you have problems I can ask if they cover Portsmouth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back