New combi pressure keeps rising...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Vaillant 828 Turbomax Combi, installed 3 weeks ago.

The pressure was at 1.5 bar on installation. I just checked it and its above 2 bar (2 bar marks the end of its "green" operating range).

I wanted to know if it is normal for pressures to fluctuate (maybe I caught it at a bad time) - if not, how can I correct this situation?

Its pushing HW only at the mo - no call for CH (I am in UK). Shower, kitchen etc. all HW is ok.

Thank you again

Sponsored Links
If you only had the boiler installed 3 weeks ago, your installer ought to be sorting this out for you. What does he say, and, by the way, is he Corgi registered, and did he give you a benchmark certificate, and why did he install a non-condensing boiler, contrary to building regulations?

You would expect a rise of around half a bar when the water gets hot. 2 bar no problem, 2.5 getting serious.

Yes, but he's only using it for DHW, so you wouldn't expect any pressure rise if the heating circuit remains at ambient temp., or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
If you can find a filling loop then try disconecting it.

Thanks for the responses.

Worked was booked back in March chrishutt. Corgi, yes - certificate, yes.

Dudes in Spain until next week so I wanted to see if there was something I could do.

Not sure what filling loop is but will investigate.

Hot water tap in bathroom has started leaking..is this related to the pressure in the boiler?

Thanks again

The filling loop is built in, bottom right of the boiler. If you take the plastic grille thing off you'll be able to see better. At both ends of the flexy silver craided tube there's a brass block with a part you can turn with a tool. Some were a small square like a radiator bleed valve and some had a screwdriver slot. Both ends should be closed - they're usually left with just one end shut.

Chris H I take your point there's less water expanding so you wouldn't expect it to rise quite that much unless the presure vessel is getting full of water..

Dripping tap is not relevant.

It's JUST possible that the tap HW heat exchanger is leaking internally. What you could do to diagnose is turn OFF the cold water input to the boiler, 4 th pipe from the left, it has a tap of some sort on it.
Then open a hot tap. The HW tap should stop dripping fairly soon unless water is getting through from the boiler side. The pressure would drop slowly too - leave it overnight.

A non-condensing boiler installation 3 weeks ago contravenes building regs., irrespective of when it was ordered, paid-for, booked or whatever. Contracts entered into before April 1st had to be completed before July 1st to be exempt. Did he notify Corgi of installation as required? Presumably not, or your Corgi reg. installer would be in trouble.

As for your pressure problem, my guess is the filling loop is not shut off properly. Look closely as mentioned above. There should be a small "key" type tool sticking out of the bottom. This opens and shuts valve, as described in your instructions.

or your Corgi reg. installer would be in trouble.
Only if there was anybody on the planet who GAVE a damn AND they sought his excuse-form.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back