New Compatible Boiler Replacement required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum & I was wondering if anyone out there can help ?

Basically, I need a new boiler because the old one starts to boil when it's running, resulting in the safety cut-outs cutting in & turning the gas off.
The thing is, I have a friend who knows someone who works for British Gas, who is willing to do the replacement as a guvvie job for only £50, as long as I supply the new boiler. The only thing he stipulated was that the new boiler would simply connect straight to the existing pipework, with no modifications required.

So, here's the question. Does anyone know what a Direct Replacement for a Myson Economiser would be ? I've tried looking on the manufacturers web-sites for pipework dimensions etc, to no avail & when I try to ask any local shops for any sizes, all I get is the standard "Must be fitted by a Corgi Engineer" & they won't give me any details.

If anyone can help me on this I would be grateful, as I have been getting quoted upwards of £1300 for the job, which is more than my current budget will allow. I can get a new boiler for about £600~£700 which with the fitting charge of £50 is a lot easier to swallow.

TIA - Shaky.

Sponsored Links
Nothing will fit exactly. "Myson" as a brand of boiler doesn't exist any more.
Your mate's mate is perhaps pulling your leg? Why should he work for so little? Perhaps he knows his conditions cannot be met.
As he will not be Corgi registered in his own name, it will be illegal for him to fit your boiler. He will also not be able to fill out the Benchmark document, the boiler warranty or the notification required by the Building Control Dept.

ChrisR said:
Nothing will fit exactly. "Myson" as a brand of boiler doesn't exist any more.As he will not be Corgi registered in his own name, it will be illegal for him to fit your boiler. He will also not be able to fill out the Benchmark document, the boiler warranty or the notification required by the Building Control Dept.

Damn :( looks like I'm gonna have to keep saving for the work to be done by a firm then. Why the hell do people come out with this cr@p when they know it's rubbish ? The thing is, I haven't got any problem with plumbing whatsoever, having re-plumbed the water supply around the whole house to get rid of all the old lead piping, even including sweating the new copper to the existing lead main feed. ( Im an ex BT engineer trained in Lead Plumbing of cables ) The thing is, it's illegal to touch the Gas Pipe isn't it & what with the sort of luck I have, it's just not worth taking the risk.

Do those quotes I've received sound about right then for that sort of job ? Would it be easier & more Cost-Effective to change over to a sealed system, ( I've got a Multi-Point already fitted in the Bathroom for the Hot Water ) coz it would be nice to be able to get rid of the old overflow tank out of the loft, as I want to eventually do a loft conversion.

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Shaky

also check that "your mate" is CORGI'd in his own right as he has to notify CORGI and everyone else that you have had it fitted

beware of "cheap" jobs and they always cost you in the end they do!

Sponsored Links
When did he solder water lead to copper? as that has being against water regs for quite some time

"I have a friend who knows someone who works for British Gas, who is willing to do the replacement as a guvvie job for only £50"

Don't like the sound of that.

Water Systems said:
It is NOT illegal to touch the pipes at all. All gas work is legal if you DIY and you are competent, which you appear to be. Yiu are responsible too. Get yourself a U guage to test if the gas system is gas tight. Get a suitable boiler and follow the instructions to the letter. Get back to here for further advice.

Take no notice of Corgi people who say you have to be Corgi. The shop that that would not give you boiler details is out of order. Tell them you do not have to be Corgi if you do it yourself and are competent and that they should look up the law. All they are doing is losing a sale.

OP says a mate is going to do it for him as a homer. hence he MUST be Registered nothing to do with DIY work

For heavens sake, we've been round it a hundred times. :rolleyes:
You can do your own gas work if you're "competent" to do it.
Anyone "employed" to do it must be corgi regd.
Anyone who does anything with a gas appliance other than "in accordance with current standards " (or close to those words) breaks the law.
The quoted words are what the law says, but there are NO definitions anywhere.
Right, lets have no more on that, please!

So if you get your Corgi lined up before you start, you can do most of the work if you want to agree who does what, with him.

There is scope for some diy on boiler installation, but not everything is in the manual, and there are things you'd never know unless you went out of your way to learn.

MOD 2

Right, lets have no more on that, please!

no probs mr r

shaky1105 said:
=I have a friend who knows someone who works for British Gas, who is willing to do the replacement as a guvvie job for only £50,
TIA - Shaky.

i did
suggest you do the same here I helped u

oh no he wasnt

its still pantomime season

MOD 2

with your permission gentlemen i would like to remove some posts as a lot of it does not make sense now

you have been warned . warned and better warned

now be advised pack it in

To the MOD. You need therapy. You really do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back