new consumer unit - mounting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am installing a new consumer unit in my kitchen. For convenience and aesthetic reasons, I am installing the unit in a different location from the original. I am just doing some preparatory work prior to my electrician coming in which includes mounting the unit.

Can someone please advise whether I need to mount the new consumer unit on a board or can I affix it straight to the (breezeblock) wall? If I should use a board, what material can/should it be made of?

I don't need to run cables behind it so don't need space there - all cables will run to the unit along the wall above it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It will make it easier to mount if you bang a bit of plywood up there before the CU. 4 screws, one at each corner. But its not essential.

As long as you are not going to plaster the wall later, thus preventing removal of the cover.

Modern CUs have flameproof insulating backs, and can be mounted on any surface. However it can be very convenient to space them off the wall on a board and take cables in through the rear. Holes in the bottom or sides need to be closely grommetted and can look untidy. Holes in the top have to be sealed.

If you do use a board, I think laminated chipboard is good (as used for kitchen cabinets) as it is easy to wipe clean, and the surface will not support a flame.

Sponsored Links
Laminated chipboard is a good bet, its surface is also great for sticking statutory labels on, like RCD test, Wiring Colour Notices, and other labels.

when i mount a board i cut a piece of ply touching the ceiling (if resonably practesable) , battoned off the wall
knock out the (knock outs) at the back feed straight out of ceiling behind ply into box

assfthettik as phuk buttt

Mulls, please note that you cannot just knock out holes in the TOP of a consumer unit and put the wires in there. The regulations dictate that the max space into apertures in the top of an enclosure around cables is max 1mm. (IPXXB, if I remember)
To meet this requirement most folk mount the cu on battens and feed cables in thru the back.

Talk to your sparky abput what he wants.

TTC

Taylortwocities said:
Mulls, please note that you cannot just knock out holes in the TOP of a consumer unit and put the wires in there. The regulations dictate that the max space into apertures in the top of an enclosure around cables is max 1mm. (IPXXB, if I remember)

IP4X.
Smartass, yes I know.
Sorry :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll discuss with sparky before doing anything - just to be sure about the regs on cable entry etc.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back