New Double Glazing for wooden windows

8 May 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi i have a old house with hardwood double glazed windows approx 10 years old 12 panes in each window each approx 24cm x 27cm. many of the small panes have misitng and require replacments they are all held in using putty. I also intend to stip out all the good panes and re-furb the windows including re-staining.

My questions are

Q1 best place to buy the glazing and what prices should i be looking at

Q2 Will they have clips under the putty holdining the glass? If so can they be re-cycled or do i need new and where do i get them?
Sponsored Links
Q1 - Ring around and get quotes from glaziers - ask them if they make-up their own DG units. If they don't, move on. Prices for DG units can vary tremendously

Q2 - There will possibly be plastic glazing packers in there as well. I'd just get new ones as they cost pennies

Some firms will charge proportionally more for small units. Ask for their per square metre price and whether there is a minimum size charge.

Don't use putty. Use glazing tape and wooden bead. The unit manufacturer will probably sell rolls of tape - its a double sticky sided foam. For small units you probably need tape that is 3mm thick and 12mm wide (it comes in a great variety of sizes).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links