New Drill Bit Set - For Masonry, Timber, & Metal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to invest in a quality drill bit set. One set for Masonry, one for Timber, and one for Metal. The latter can be cheaper as it will be used least often.

I'll be using these primarily with my cordless 18V BHP452 Makita drill/driver using Lithiom-Ion batteries. They will be occasionally used with a wired Bosch.

What manufacturer do you recommend? I've had a look over at D&M Tools but the choice is so vast I have no idea what to go for.

I don't mind paying a bit more for quality that will last and rather a drill only set (as opposed to one that comes with pliers/spirit levels/etc.).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice there. I've heard good things about the Bosch 'Blue' line. However, is 7 drill bits sufficient?

I see the wood & metal options are non-branded. This in itself is not necessarily a bad thing (produced in the same factory, etc.). But why do you recommend these as opposed to other sets?

I have had good results with the Dewalt Extreme 2 masonry drill bits. However these days drilling with regular masonry drill bits is a bit of a chore with my regular 18v and I just end up using my cordless 12V SDS drill for masonry.

Sponsored Links
Unbranded tend to be a bit cheaper. There's a nice variety in the wood set and plenty of spares in the metal set.

Unbranded tend to be a bit cheaper. There's a nice variety in the wood set and plenty of spares in the metal set.
The metal choice looks supiciously cheap from a price perspective. They're also not made from HSS.

I like the timber and masonry sets though. They're also both sold by screwfix.

is 7 drill bits sufficient?

yes, if you wanmt to drill 7 sizes of hole.

I hate "drill bit sets" you have already asked is 7 enough? so i can see you are not sure either.

please read the following then decide. (i make the bits / sizes / cost up)

You buy a "set" of drill bits. 3, 4 ,5, 6, 7 & 10 mm = £12

The 3 is too small, the 10 is too big, that leaves you 4 bits

averge cost is £2/bit you have just spent £4 on stuff you don't want.

You then use the 4mm bit, press to hard and .............

so you use the 5mm bit, you then realise you shouldn't have as the hole is 1mm too big.

My point is, why not buy a couple of bits in the sizes you do want, not the sizes you never use in a set

Oh you are quite correct in what you state. But one does never know when they may need a certain size... Hence buying a set which covers all basis isn't exactly a bad idea, as long as that set includes the most commonly used sizes. It's this latter point which is extremely difficult to apply.

However, buying individually, where do you keep all the bits you buy? Mixed up together within a toolbox? It's nice to have some sort of 'case'.

if you have "some sort of case" where do you keep the ones that are the same size you already have?

but as i said you will be paying for bits you really dont want, but are conned into buying them, like you, "just in case"

did you also know that 2 million brits / year spend a fortune on 1/4 inch bits they dont want. They only want the hole.

Well all the bits I already have are just rattling around in an old set case (i.e. in the compartment where the set hand screwdriver was :rolleyes:). I'm chucking the lot and starting fresh, going to look after these new bits better this time around, and sharpening them often.

EViS";p="1125320 said:
The metal choice looks supiciously cheap from a price perspective. They're also not made from HSS.

and one for Metal. The latter can be cheaper as it will be used least often.

For metal drill bits I just use a set from B&Q. The ones I use most often are the small ones and I'm always snapping them so there's no point in spending out a lot.

All my working life as a Maintenance Fitter (retired now) we only used Dormer HSS drills for metal.
JonB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back