new duel fuel cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help me... I have just bought a new Ariston Duel Fuel cooker (cp 649 mt x ) the salesman where i purchased it said that it should just plug into a normal socket? The wires comming from the back of the cooker look like normal wires, not heavy duty ones? However when i looked at it at home, a sticker on the back says 9.4 kw - 230v.
As i do not have a cooker socket only gas... does this mean getting one put in?
The cooker does not have any booklet as its ex-demo and was vastly reduced!!!

Sponsored Links
Something strange here. To run at 9.4kW this unit needs approximately 40A and I don't believe any domestic oven in the world uses that much! If you have a standard round cable at the back of the cooker then it should wire into a standard 13A plug. If it's a heavy duty flat cable you need a separate switched outlet and an additional cable and circuit breaker laid in from your consumer unit (30A).
I had a quick look to see if I could find any info on this unit. All I found out was that Ariston are now re-branded as Hotpoint but the Hotpoint website hasn't caught up with this change yet. It's worth trying to get through to a help line to confirm what the ratings are and to see if they can send you an installation manual. Failing that has the place where you bought this from got another in stock so that you could look at the manual?

Yeah, what IanDB said.

There's no way a full electric cooker, let alone a duel-fuel, would pull 9.4 kw. I've a duel-fuel, and you can 'get away' with plugging into a 13amp socket.

Although if I had my way, i would run another dedicated circuit, because the fuse in the plug gets a bit warm...

Sponsored Links
OK Thanks guys.... i cant get manual from shop (they dont have any, and no more of that cooker in stock !), so i'll get a new cable from fusebox fitted next week, to run just cooker. Begining to think that i shouldn't have bothered.... got to have new fuse box fitted, as theres no more space in it apparently !!!!!!! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back