New kitchen build.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well this will be a while before it gets started as we haven't bought anything yet, were still looking at suppliers.

But here's the design so far. It involves removing the wall (load bearing) between the current kitchen and dining room which will be the first task.

Spec includes underfloor electric heating, oak worktops, integrated units (and a dishwasher, yes!). Were considering a slim wine cooler too (to replace the 300mm cabinet under the breakfast bar.

So anyway here's what ive come up with, can anyone see any issues with layout etc...?

kitchen1-1.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

kitchen3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Forget the breakfast bar, with a table so close it'll get little use.
I'd also reduce the full-height cupboards to just one.

The second full height is needed to hide the boiler. Don't fancy moving it, and if i did i would need somewhere else to put the fridge freezer.

I think the breakfast bar adds a massive design touch, but agree it may not get used all that much as an actual breakfast bar. We may lose the chair and it'll be just an extra worktop.

Only being able to half open that door would annoy me very quickly.

Sponsored Links
I think you've done well with the space you've got . If it were possible to move the back door, you could add a few units, but it's a lot of work for two units. I would have a drainer sink if you insist on oak worktops. I was going to have oak in my own kitchen but I opted for oak-look laminate. And I don't regret it.

I really like the design, think you've thought very hard about the use of space. Hope it all goes well.

The breakfast bar would annoy me too. Could the worktop follow through a short distance into the 'floor boarded' room instead?

Looks good, but perhaps add a more "flowing" wall to the breakfast bar rather than the sharp corner?

I think it looks good. However to me it does not look that spacious :S I personaly prefer a big kitchen with a lot of space. However I do love the design and hope it goes well :D

Nice little kitchen bruv, but get rid of that ironing board you don't need it there ! (lol)

What about your extractor fan ducting ? or are you going to use charcoal filter for food smells and grease.

I would actually move the door by a few inches and you can have extra space for storage, moving a door isn't as big a job as it seems.

have a look on ebay for kitchen units, a lot cheaper then anywhere else. Type in 'kitchen units mfi' or similar, surprisingly its all mfi's old stock. If anyone finds a cheap place to get good quality doors please let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back