New lawn - grass seed or turf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you were re-turfing/seeding a smallish lawn (50m2 - ish), what's the best way to go about things?

Basically, the lawn where I am is all over the shop at the moment - parts of it are dead where they were left covered by stuff for ages, a pile of soil has been moved from where a shed base was dug up etc. Good soil though and everything grows ok it seems.

I'm hoping to level it all out a bit and then returf it. What's better, quality turf or seed? Any recommended suppliers?

Do I need to remove as much of the old grass or can I just dig it all over/rake it out/wack it down a bit if using turf? I've got a wacker plate which I can use to flatten everything down with a bit if needed (before finally raking over etc).

Any pointers/advice much appreciated

Will

Sponsored Links
as i understand it, turf is for instant grass, seeds are to grow your own. seeds being cheaper.

whaker plate.......................never seen one of those used for a lawn on GF (i think it would compact too much) but like painting the end result really depends on the prep you do, the more and better it is the better the end result

seeding it is a probably less work and definately cheaper. Kill everything with a couple of applications of roundup or similar then dig it all over with a rotovater or fork if you don't mind the work throw a bit of fertilizer on it ( if the soil is heavy or poor add some sand and or topsoil now) and rake it all to a fine crumb. Then level it out and roll it with a heavy roller, i wouldn't use a whacker plate. Then seed away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back