New lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built an extension 18 months ago and my lawned area was used for storing Brick, Sand, and so on.

The grass has suffered badly and rather than try and nurture it back to a reasonable condition, i was thinking of leveling the garden a little better so 20 Tonne's of top soil is to be delivered on friday.

Before the grass was wrecked it was pristine, not quite to bowling green standard but not far off. Can someone tell me the best way to get a nice lawn again ? Am i better seeding or turf ?

The full area will have at least a 4" covering of new loam soil but some areas will be about 6" to bring it level. Am i best mixing something in with the new soil like horse manure to ensure it has a good organic content ?

Cheers guy's & Galls of course

Sponsored Links
sandy loam is the ideal base for it. dont mix anything else in with it. turf is much better than seed. its grown under controlled conditions and at the right rate. put the sandy loam down and level it by eye with a rake. then walk up anddown it all heeling it gently in. give it another rake just to fluff up the surface. now get a nice long piece of 4 x 2 and you can literally screed the sandy loam to get it perfectly flat. dont walk over it, and you can now lay the turf straight on to it. you need to keep the sandy loam dry to do it, so make sure its delivered dry and keep it dry.
stay of the lawn for a couple of weeks to allo it to root and roberts your mothers brother!

thermos right
but do water daily until roots of new sod has taken hold.
don,t forget to keep the area close to the house slightly higher for drainage away from house about 3 feet slope

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back