New light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone assist me please?

I have attempted to change a kitchen light fitting and have two cables one with Brown Blue & Earth and one with Brown Blue Yellow and Earth.

I have a block of 4 pairs of connectors fitted in the light fitting. I have connected the two blue to the Neutral terminal, opposite the Blues from the fitting. Two earths to the earth terminal opposite the earths from the fitting, and the two Browns to the Live terminal opposite the Browns from the light fitting.

What do I do with the yellow wire please? As when I reconnect the mains the light stays on permanently.

Sponsored Links
do you have a fan in there?

how many switches control this light?

are there other lights controlled by the same switch as this light?

sounds like youve got a 'permanent' live connected at the light fitting instead of the 'switched' live.

have a look at the wiki at the top of the page, theres some lighting circuit diagrams in there that should help you out.

rule one with lighting circuits-always mark up the wires before you take any out :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back