New light in the loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like to fit a light in my loft. What is the best way to achieve this?
There is a light switch beneath the loft hatch would it be ok to change this for a double switch and use one for the loft light and the other for the stairs?

thanks
dean :?:

Sponsored Links
easiest way is to take a spur from a light in an upstairs room, put a switch next to the hatch inside the loft and to the light. you can change the single switch to a 2gang switch but that means chasing the wall to put the new cable in

if the existing light switch is fed by a two core cable which brings in power and takes it out to the light, and this is running in some sort of tube, then you may be able to pull it out and replace it with a three core. One core to supply power, two to take it out from separate switches to the two lights. Make sure there is enough space before you pull it out, use the existing cable to pull a string through to pull the new one back.

If there is just a three core cable already, then likely it is for two-way switching. Which is quite likely on a landing, which is where loft traps often are.

Do you really want a loft light switch in the hall below where people will switch it by mistake and not realise they have turned on the loft light?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input, you have a point about people switching on the loft light by mistake.
I might just call an electician to fit the light.

cheers
dean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back