New lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it still OK to use junction boxes rather than loop in circuit for Part P ?

The junction boxes will all be accessible and inspectible.

Sponsored Links
part p is a building reg, junction boxes are covered by wiring regs, so the answer is yes

i agree with that, but that wasn't the question.

lets ask:

why do you want to use junction boxes, more cost, more wires to terminate, more to go wrong

Sponsored Links
It seemed easier to understand since I had the new circuit coming up into
ceiling void cut too short to reach the first rose. Misunderestimated how much cable was taken up clipping it to the joists.

I thought that rather than replacing the cable run, if I used junction boxes
everywhere, it wouldn't look too out of place to have extended the cable with one.

breezer said:
i agree with that, but that wasn't the question.

:D

Don't wire the entire circuit with Jb's - just extend the one you need to!

If as I understand you are wiring in a loft space and it will be have access later you can use as many jbs as you want, if you are fitting fancy lights without loop in connections it makes life easier, or you can take the cables back to a single jb like a J701 and wire from there.

The loop in system is becoming out dated due to the prevalence of down lighters etc

This is true, but JB's are still not the best way.......looping via the switches seems to be the way to go.

I agree that looping thru switches is a good way especially on new builds, on a rewire if you are re using conduits and dropping down wall voids its easier to run single cables to switches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back