New oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to hook up a new oil tank to my boiler and just want someone to say if i am going about things the right way.

Gate valve connected directly to the oil tank using ptfe around threaded connection.
Guage connected directly to the gate valve using ptfe around threaded connection.
Compression fitting joining 10mm sheathed copper pipe to gauage.
Compression fitting joining 10mm pipe to oil filter.
Compression fitting joining oil filter to existing 10mm pipe leading to boiler.

Does that sound about right - just curious about the order of things - ie does the filter come after the guage or before it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am not an oil expert but would prefer the filter before the gauge.

You dont seem to have included notifying your local Building Control department?

As oil tanks are now Notifyable, have you done that?

Tony Glazier

All i am doing is is installing a new tank as the old one is too big and in the middle of our garden.
I have the new one on a solid level fireproof surface and it is the correct distance from windws walls and boundaries. So in a sense it is just like i have picked up the original one and moved it a little bit.

Tony, Paddy's in Ireland. Perhaps they don't have the benefit of all our government legislation over there?

Sponsored Links
really sounds like a job for "oilman" but i understand he is still in the land of nod :LOL:

I like that "Irish" response to the problem!

In England with that problem someone would plant trees around it and make a feature and take advantage of a large tank to buy cheap bulk supplies during July when the oil firms have nothing to do and prices are low.

Paddy, however, buys a new smaller tank and fills it up at peak prices during September! However as the economy is booming "over the water" perhaps the cost is not important!

Tony

I like that "Irish" response to the problem!

In England with that problem someone would plant trees around it and make a feature

Oh would they? Speak for yourself Agile. The last thing I would so is plant trees around an oil tank. The roots could cause havoc with the foundations of the tank supports and besides, aren't you being rather presumptuous to assume he has sufficient space to plant the trees? Then of course there's the issue of light being blocked, tree maintenance and the tank being covered in rotten vegetation in autumn.

another patronising and snide remark by agile,perhaps paddy would like to report agile to the race relations board.for future reference agile THE LAW IS DIFFERENT IN IRELAND in england trees should not be planted around oil tanks as that is a fire hazard you racist :LOL:

filter after sight gauge. all kinds of insects go to sight tube to die.
gatevalve at tank

filter should be positioned amongst some pyracantha. if not errect some barrier to make access to filter impossible , thereby wasting 30 mins demolishing some trellis work.a muddy venue is best . also consider burying it under ground so it corrodes niceley. i can reccomemd placing it indoors, preferably near some white carpet. even better place filter bowl by the side of the boiler ,and then get the kitchen fitter in.

paddy1 said:
I am about to hook up a new oil tank to my boiler and just want someone to say if i am going about things the right way.

Gate valve connected directly to the oil tank using ptfe around threaded connection.

PTFE is not a recommended thread seal for oil.

Guage connected directly to the gate valve using ptfe around threaded connection.

Not a good idea as the gauge might have to be changed at some time.
PTFE is not a recommended thread seal for oil.

Compression fitting joining 10mm sheathed copper pipe to gauage.
Compression fitting joining 10mm pipe to oil filter.
Compression fitting joining oil filter to existing 10mm pipe leading to boiler.

Compression joints should only be used with inserts if soft annealed copper is used, otherwise flared connectors should be used. Coiled copper pipe is soft annealed.

Does that sound about right - just curious about the order of things - ie does the filter come after the guage or before it.

Filter has to catch things that could get into pipe. Refer to wilhelm's post.

Agile said:
Paddy, however, buys a new smaller tank and fills it up at peak prices during September! However as the economy is booming "over the water" perhaps the cost is not important!

Oil prices no longer track the seasons but the oil spot market.

breezer said:
really sounds like a job for "oilman" but i understand he is still in the land of nod icon_lol.gif

Breezer doesn't have an answer.:rolleyes:

I got some oil spots on me droive , would ye be after boiyin` em sor :?: :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back