New oven power supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm replacing my existing oven which is run on 6mm cable and a 30amp fuse with a new unit which is rated at 3.4kw. Along with a electric hob rated at 6.6kw. Can i run both on the existing supply or do i need to run an addition supply for the hob? Grateful for any advice....thanks Tony

Sponsored Links
If I was doing this job, I would run the hob on the existing 30A/6mm circuit and run a new radial in 2.5mm, fused at 16A for the oven.

The total max load for both together is theoretically too much for 30A fuse but both will probably work just fine until Xmas morning which will the first time when you've got the oven and all hob rings going at the same time. That's possibly when the fuse will pop and your name will be Xmas Gnome.
I say probably and possibly because there's only one way to find out!

Hi thanks for the advice, plenty of people have said "it should be alright" but i'll go with your idea of a seperate supply. I have noticed a redundant 16amp waterheater supply which i'll use for the supply, that way xmas won't involve fuse wire! Thanks Again. Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back