new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am currently having a couple of ceiling replastered.

How long does the plaster need to dry before it can be painted?

I think that I saw somewhere that it is possible to buy "breathable" paint which would allow the wall to continue to dry out after application. Where can I get some?

What is the best way to prepare newly plastered walls for painting?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would normally leave it a week if you can, depending on weather conditions.

Should go a pinky colour when dry.

Don't try and dry the plater off too quickly by turning up the CH. you will get an unwanted crazed finish as it cracks. Relax for a week as suggested and then paint :)

Sponsored Links
You need to let your plaster dry as long as you can. 3-4 days is the minimum but with current weather conditions you should leave it a week or two.

Take some PVA (the white water based glue, dead cheap in DIY shops) and dilute it one part of PVA to 3 parts of water (I find it is best to add a little water at a time and add it whilst stirring). Then take a cheap roller and tray (£3 from Wickes?) and roll a couple of coats of the watered-down PVA over the walls. Leave that to dry for a day and you will have a good surface to paint.

Builder's emulsion (the breathable paint) is a good choice, but any emulsion will do. Just don't use those vinyl paints as they keep the moisture in the wall and the plaster will go soft and fall off.

Alternatively people have been known to varnish the plaster and have that as their finish... weirdos... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back