New roof on windy site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own an edwardian property which is right on the coast and has rooms in the roof space. We intend to re-roof the property but would like to make the roof as airtight as possible. What is the best way to achieve this and don't know whether insulation board above the rafters works well and am not convinced with tri-iso but I don't really know about either. The main thing is to insulate it as much as we can. The roof is slate by the way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
gasmanuk said:
would like to make the roof as airtight as possible.
Air tight: do you mean so the high wind won't blow the tiles off or to stop draught coming into the roof area?

Just re-read your post:

My opinion is to do close boarding such as exterior plywood sheet onto the rafters then roofing felt + battens + tiles (I would nail every single tile if you live near the coast or high wind area). I would use 50mm insulation slabs on 100mm rafters leaving 50mm air flow gap with soffit vent at the bottom and ridge tile vent at the top giving circulation of air flow then plasterboards on the inside, if it's already plasterboard then the insulation would to be put in first before tiling etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back