new split load consumer unit trips rcd all the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just fitted new consumer unit to replace old ceramic fuse type, wired ring main and immersion and cooker etc to rcd side and it trips all the time.
even if i switch off all mcb's on rcd side of unit and then turn on just the main rcb its trips off, if i run everything from normal non rcd side of box everything is fine.
the unit was pre wired and it looks right to me i put all the earths on earth bar, lives on mcb's and neutrals on the correct neutral bars.
Help what do i try from here ?

Sponsored Links
What were the insulation resistance readings for neutral to earth on the RCD protected circuits?

Using an insulation resistance tester. Do you have one? If not the building control guy meant to inspect and test your installation should be doing this.. give him a call.

Or have you 'forgotten' to notify this?

Sponsored Links
Maybe the building control guy does not work on sundays, and as far as im concerned my local sparkie of 25 years said i could do the work as long as it was checked afterwards.
ps thanks for the help you gave me it will go a long way to finding any potential safty issues with my wiring !!!!!!!

Don't bother with the attitude mate, I answered your question, and am trying to help but with no test results what do you expect? No-one here can see into your house through the internet and fault find for you.

If you have wired the CU correctly then there isn't anything we can do besides ask you numerous questions which are being asked about 6 posts down the page: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83597

Even then the only solution is to get appropriate test gear and find the fault, then remedy it - a simple reason why the wiring should be checked before the CU is changed. Faults that went un-noticed when there was no RCD protection are suddenly a very apparent problem.

mikeeboy said:
Maybe the building control guy does not work on sundays, and as far as im concerned my local sparkie of 25 years said i could do the work as long as it was checked afterwards.
ps thanks for the help you gave me it will go a long way to finding any potential safty issues with my wiring !!!!!!!

Sarcasm gets you absolutely nowhere.

You forget people on here go out of their way to help people like you. We offer our time & advice free of charge.

As far as I'm concerned you can sing for your advice. All I will tell you is that your so called "sparkie" is ill-informed. Either you should have notified LABC before commemcement of the job, or the person doing the work should have been able to self-certify.

If you are asking questions like this, it seems to me you have not the correct level of competence to carry out the work.

Well im sorry i upset you, i forgot you were trying to help me.
Strange sort of help though, sounded more to me like lets have a go at the engineer, still i suppose only having 3 wires to deal with all day is a bit of a no brainer !!
you obviously need to let off steam when you get home, I had forgotton that electricity and wiring were one of the Dark Arts only understood by a select few.
PS i have fixed the problem now no thanks to you.

how did you fix it? I would like to know! are you sure it was wired correctly from the shop?

Darren

I know what you did.

If it is so easy, why come here asking for advice?

Ungrateful so & so.

die leute auf diesem kommen zu helfen, mißbrauch nicht zu erhalten. Wenn das fortfährt, können sie nie herkommen, wieder zu helfen!

Tricky stuff having to work with 3 wires thats why you possibly got it wrong !

Come on with a sarky attitude & you'll not be helped at all, I thought the reply that davey o gave you was fine & a correct answer to your question with added info for you to take on board.
You may find these links useful for any future electrical work your planning on doing at home.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/consumers/partp1.html
http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Pocket Guide 8.pdf

And no i'm not just having a go at bashing an engineer just trying to give some useful info to somebody whos been missinformed by a freind.

karatedragon said:
die leute auf diesem kommen zu helfen, mißbrauch nicht zu erhalten. Wenn das fortfährt, können sie nie herkommen, wieder zu helfen!

karatedragon in English said:
The people on this site are here to help. Do not abuse this. If this continues they will not help again!

And no i'm not just having a go at bashing an engineer just trying to give some useful info to somebody whos been missinformed by a freind.

Engineer, where, engineers don't behave the way he did. He doesn't know how to do an insulation resistance test. He has all the information but cannot work it out. That is not an engineer.

I wonder how he cured the fault ? Has he cleared the fault ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back