New sport born?

2scoops0406

I was driving along today in my very un PC 4x4, minding my own business, I was going pretty slowly as I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere. I turned off a roundabout onto a slip road onto the A5, anyhow, the A5 itself was very quiet, so I start indicating in order to let the guy to my right know that I'm proposing to join the A5, only to find the sod starts matching his cars speed with mine, so that I'm starting to run out of sliproad. He continues to do this until I've finally run out of sliproad, and am stationary on the hard shoulder still indicating before he finally deigns, gesticulating furiously, to let me on the road.

What a to**er, despite the fact I had 2 of my kids in the back, what exactly does he think he is trying to achieve? The guy was driving a corsa, in the most preferrably avoidable case of a collision, who does he think is gonna come of worse, Mr Corsa man or Mr 4x4, stupid get.

Now I don't know what your collective opinions are on 4x4's and frankly I don't really care, but whatever your views there can be no excuse for potentially endangering other road users surely. I seriously hope that those with an axe to grind about these vehicles at least keep things in perspective. Most ardent anti 4x4 folk are usually disbelieving, even when shown the proof, that a 4x4 is no longer than a large saloon car, and no wider, the fact that people can't park them is due to their driving, not the size of the vehicle. In terms of pollution they are generally no worse than high performance cars, most of the other stuff about 4x4 drivers being less cautious 'cos they feel safer I would hazzard a guess is complete hogwash.

I seriously hope that 4x4 baiting does not take off, 'cos someone is gonna get hurt it it does, oh, and if your in a Corsa, that's probably gonna be you!

Sponsored Links
I've always thought the easiest way is to slow down a bit and join the main road behind him.

Very few people mind you going behind them, a lot object if they think you're trying to push in front.

On the M3 (going south)where the M25 joins the cars joining the M3 seem to think it's their right to just swerve in front of you and that it's you who is already on the M3 that should brake hard and give way, in doing this you risk being hit from behind.
the slip lane continues into the inside lane so there's no need to force their way out into what then becomes the middle lane.

I drive a LandRover 110 V8 and agree with you Eddie, you come across some absolutely bewildering driving from 4x2 drivers :confused:
I've had my LandRover for over 10 years now, it has over 180 000 miles under its belt (original mechanicals) and can accomadate up to 12 people. We regularly save using multiple cars on trips out and school runs, it runs on lpg and therefore produces Less polution than an average car, I havent bought a replacement for it for 10 years during which time most people I know have bought 3 or 4 new cars with all the pollution from their manufacture that produces.
My advice is to keep your cool, wave nicely and be smug in the knowledge that you are correct and not a lemming following ill informed public opinion
And as for banning off road drinving cause it damages the countryside - have you seen the state farmers leave the countryside? and thats ok?????:cool:

Sponsored Links
This morning on the M40 I a woman driving a 4X4 pulled straight out from the slip road into my path even though the slip road becomes lane 1 and I had nowhere to go as there was traffic in the outside lane - lane 1 was clear! I waited until I could overtake then I pulled in as close as she had done to me - result was lots of flashing of headlights and arm-waving. Why did my manouvre cause such outrage when she more than happy to cause me to brake from 70mph to 40mph?

I don't think the type of vehicle matters - the attitude of the driver is the same no matter what vehicle they drive. People are too up themselves when it comes to driving and road use.

I saw a woman on the news the other day making excuses at to why to keep her 4x4 (big ugly mazda thing, blacked out window, she looked a bit of a golddigger), saying all sorts of rubbish like "oh it keeps me safe, with my kids".

YES, IT KEEPS YOU - YOU SAFE! Not the next mother in her vauxhall corsa when you DRIVE OVER HER and her kids!

I've often wondered how guilty these drivers would feel when they cause an accident in their "tank" and the other car full of people is now full of dead bodies . . . Very safe . . .

And theres no point to having a safe car if you dont wear seatbelts. An airbag might as well be a rifle if you're not wearing a seatbelt when it blows.

no it doesnt, its a fallicy. theyre proven to be more accident prone in them. dont know if its because they believe theyre safer and so dont worry about risks, or a lot of people just cannot cope with the size and power of them

It's just fashionable. You make up the "reasons" later.

They dont handle well at speed on corners either.

toffee said:
They dont handle well at speed on corners either.

Anyone else see the test on "5th gear" where they sped a range rover up to 70 and made it swerve around an obstacle? Think it rolled about 5 times before coming to a standstill . . . but still, technology is "always improving" so despite these car's stupidly high centres of gravity, they are still safer . . . :cool: :rolleyes:

Thermo said:
no it doesnt, its a fallicy. theyre proven to be more accident prone in them. dont know if its because they believe theyre safer and so dont worry about risks, or a lot of people just cannot cope with the size and power of them

Size and power? they are no more powerful than a standard saloon, they are height excepted, no bigger.

Anyhow, the point wasn't about the relative merits or otherwise about 4x4's rather about the total stupidity of baiting someone in a 4x4, preventing someone from exercising a prefectly accpetable manoeveur in a vehicle, simply because of what it is is simply crass in the extreme.

so the point in question is, who has the right of way and who should give way?

Not at all, I wouldn't expect someone to slow down, then speed up, in order to deliberately block another vehicles access to an otherwise traffic free road.

Eddie M said:
Not at all, I wouldn't expect someone to slow down, then speed up, in order to deliberately block another vehicles access to an otherwise traffic free road.
no you misunderstand me should the car joining the motorway have to slow down and wait for a space or does the car already on the motorway have to slow down and allow the other car to join?

Sponsored Links
Back