New Western Digital 250gb ide Hard Drive problems

C

cabot

I currently run a 6 year old Mesh computer which is of the following spec
Asus A7v motherboard
AMD athlon 850 processor
384 sdram
40 GB hard drive.-very full
my problem surround the addition of the above hard drive which is being used as a slave.the new drive has been partitioned into 2 but i have noticed that each partition is only showing up as 65gb each which on my count makes only 130gb why is this? can anyone throw any light on this. :confused:

Sponsored Links
What OS is your Mesh running, and what method of partitioning was used?

Check that your bios will support drives of this capacity.

Sponsored Links
OOI, did Windows set up the partitions for you, and what version have you got?

if its of any use, the first big HD i partioned i got it wrong (forgot now how i actually partitioned it) but in short i had done it so that the pc could only see half the drive, and the half it could see was split into 2 partitions

my point being it may be the way it was partitioned.

I now let xp do it and it works very well

Mesh is running XP.Seems as if there is problems with bios being unable to accept hard drives larger than 130Gb.

With regard to the 130'ish GB 'limitation' mentioned.......

[url=http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_created=1049320914&p_sid=h1TjVt7i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD04NDEmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1]Western Digital[/url] said:
Problem:
The full capacity of EIDE drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary) is not recognized in Windows 2000/XP.

Cause:
The Windows Operating System, Motherboard BIOS, or PCI IDE controller BIOS does not currently support 48-bit LBA (Logical Block Addressing).

Resolution:
- 48-bit LBA support is necessary for drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary). The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit LBA support in Windows 2000/XP:

- Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) must be installed for Windows or a registry key must be manually added to Windows' Registry. For information about Windows XP Service Pack 1, see Microsoft Article 322389 or for Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, see Microsoft Article 320853.

- The system must have a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed. This includes EIDE controller card BIOSs. Please determine with the computer, motherboard, or PCI IDE controller manufacturer if this hardware supports 48-bit LBA.

Note: The Microsoft Knowledge Base articles listed below provide important information about 48-bit LBA support for drives larger than 137GB in Windows. They also reference making necessary registry changes. It is strongly advised that you contact Microsoft directly for assistance.
48-bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000.

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP.

Western Digital is a good place to start your investigations..

It would seem that the 'tools' already suggested may do the job for you.
A possible solution
;)

Sponsored Links
Back