New windows and doors - help with building regs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had all the windows and doors replaced in my flat includuing front door which leads onto communal hallway. I replaced these all with UPVC as per the other flats in the block. have since found out that my installers lied and arent fensa registered- great! no paperwork either as cash in hand job so will have to go to council for buidlings approval. Worried about the front door though as have since heard it should have been a fire door (ex council flat)?? Will this cause me problems when I come to sell if I dont mention it? Will there be a record of what door was there when we bought it?

Help!

Sponsored Links
IF your front door is a fire door presumably its because it opens out onto an escape route for other dwellers of the block of flats, ie if theres a fire in your flat others escaping from the block won't get fried as they leg it past your front door. If you are going to the council for approval (you'll probably need something from the manufacturer or supplier to prove the windows/doors meets with building regs) they may well pick up that your front door should be a fire door in which case you'll be sunk. If other residents have fitted upvc what have they done, did they get approval? When you come to sell, if you've not got any approval worst case scenario I suppose is potentially someone may be anal enough to pull out of a sale, if this happens you can get an indemnity insurance (prob about £100 or so) which will cover you for any problems that may arise because of your lack of regs which should save the sale.

Thank you.

When i sell my flat, how will the solicitors know this has been an addition since we owned the property?
Do you think the indemnity insurance will work considering its a potential fire hazard? (we are top floor so not as hazadous as it could be i guess)

would it be advisable to get this insurance now or wait until we sell? (could be up to five years?)

Sponsored Links
Well, it depends how shrewd the buyers solicitor/surveyor is and how honest you are, to be honest I don’t know if the insurance would cover you against your neighbours frying, in all honesty I’d be surprised if your front door is actually supposed to be a fire door unless it’s a fairly recent building, of course the council may have had it written in to the deeds that front doors should be replaced with fire doors when they sold off the flats. What have your neighbours got – upvc? If so you’re probably worrying a bit too much. The insurance would be something your solicitor would arrange when you come to sell if the need arises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back