Newbie needs plastering advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

ive just spent today removing my old tiles which cover around a quarter of my bathroom as i'm going to get a new bathroom suite fitted next weekend and get it tiled all over. In the process of removing the tiles on one wall a large amount of plaster came off and I it's showing the plaster board in places in particular one wall section of a wall where nearly all of the plaster is now off.

As i'm getting it tiled all over again shall I use multi finnish plaster and try to make it flush again the old plaster or do I need to bond it with pva before hand?

Or shall I ask the tilers to put on more tile adhesive and not bother with plastering up the holes?

Also ive spent this afternoon trying to remove as much tile adhesive as possible, do you think it is necessary to remove all of this stuff?

Thanks

Stan.. :)

Sponsored Links
if there's no holes in the plaster board, just tile over it make sure you use plenty of pva before you tile though

I would advise you get the walls as flat as possible before tiling as any unevenness will affect the look of the finished tiling. If the plasterboard is exposed, there is also the risk that water/moisture will eventually find it’s way though & plasterboard disintegrates very quickly if it becomes damp. If you just have a few local holes, you can fill these flush with the surrounding area using multi finish; skim the whole wall if it's all exposed. It doesn’t have to look great as long as it’s flat so you can probably do it yourself. I had the same problem but on block walls & after local filling, I re-skimmed the whole bathroom before tiling but I can plaster!

Thanks Richard,

I suspected the case as i'd prefer moisture not to attack the plasterboard and so ive just gone out and got some plaster. Also i'm going to remove the rest of the old plaster with tile adhesive off tonight and plaster the whole lot.

Just wish me luck!!

Stan..

Sponsored Links
Well finnishing plastering the walls earlier this evening and I do have to say it was hard getting the technique correct but after a while I started getting the hang of it.

My plastering is ok but not perfect, if I wasn't going to get the walls tiled I would got a someone to do it for me.

Stan..

Well done Stanley,

It's difficult to get the hang of but once you know what you're doing it's quite easy. The hardest thing is learning that when you lay the skim on, not to worry about how it looks. Just get it covered with two coats and then go back and flatten it when it's starting to firm up. Then go and trowel up with water when it's gone off a bit.

Regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back