1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie - Sawing - large boards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Headshot_Harry, 2 Aug 2016.

1. Headshot_Harry

Headshot_Harry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello there,

Quick question about making the right tool choice when it comes to sawing straight lines to cut large(ish) boards to size. I'm have a small project at home which requires me to cut some boards that are between 50cm x 100cm and 100cm x 150cm.
    I'm looking at purchasing a power saw (circular) but wanted to ask some advice on what type of saw would be best to aid me in cutting straight lines?

Obviously I could use a jigsaw with a very steady hand :) but ideally I'm looking to invest a workbench and appropriate saw for cutting long straight lines - would a standard hand-held circular saw be an appropriate choice?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Diyisfun

Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can use hand held circular saw, just clamp or pin a straight edge to the board to use as a guide.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Headshot_Harry

Headshot_Harry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for the reply - gonna get a Circular Saw. Thanks again.

5. DRM

DRM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I find it is much easier and more accurate to move the saw across a large sheet of wood than it is to move a large sheet of wood across a fixed saw.

As said above a plunge type circular saw and a good straight edge are a very good combination for this type of work.

6. Sponsored Links