Newbie:- Wiring for a bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring an humidstat extractor fan for my bathroom. The instruction say that 'wiring should be via a 2 pole isolator with separation of a t least 3mm'. Sorry for being ignorant, but I simply want to connect this device to disused ligting circuit . I can connect the live and neutral terminals and the fan works fine when I switch the light switch on and the humidity control picks up moisture. Now I want to wire the fan so it is permanenty connected, can I simply replace the light switch with a 3amp fuse box?

Sponsored Links
No you can't.
All current using equipment must be connected via a suitable isolator, this is so that it can be isolated locally for maintenance.
You should install a double pole isolation switch, possibly in place of the pull cord switch.

FCU what is that precisely? Will this also provide me with a 3am fuse connection

Sponsored Links
Fused Connection Unit

e.g.

MKK1040.JPG

and if you put a 3A fuse in it (they all come with a 13A as standard) it will provide the protection you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back