newels and handrails for outdoor flight of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice on adding a newel/handrail to some new brick steps we are constructing in the garden. The steps are brick with paving slabs for tread.

Should we be looking at timber for the newel/handrail or is there such a thing as a reasonably priced metal alternative.

Any advice on how best to fix them is also appreciated.

Cheers
Keith

Sponsored Links
I would use metal being stronger and easier to fit.Type into Google search engine and there's load of information or have it made up by your local prefab and there're reasonably priced as it's made to measure to your requirement or you can get a heavy duty plastic type.

B + Q and Wickes now sell ready made sections of metal fence panels which are already painted and easy to fit. As well as flat sections they also do sections which will fit on a slope running up at the side of the steps. I have seen a few different designs from straight round bars to wavy bars but I cannot find a picture or a link to show you so a visit to either or both may be an idea.

Sponsored Links
To fix it use something like an M10 rawl bolt (M12 if you want it really strong!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back