(Motor mower) Next little project for advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have purchased this petrol mower to keep me busy whilst off work.

It’s a Oleo Mac Serie G

I see that I need to pick up a spare or two.
Starts & runs ok.

There is a throttle lever which has its cover missing.

There is no air filter or it’s housing.

If I use the throttle level & bring up the revs a little it starts to smoke a bit & spits droplets of oil on the orange deck.

I’ve removed the plug but it’s dry & no wet deposits at all.

If I push the mower I can hear a noise like a golf buggy so I assume this is supposed to move on it’s own as opposed to me pushing it.

I don’t see anything happen when I operate the red lever bar. Of which I would think this is what makes it start to move.

I have supplied some photos below to assist you.

I now would like some advice to fix/play with it.

Many Thanks.

Attachments

• F4E3AE43-367D-4DC9-9A3E-9D44C895DFCC.jpeg
    F4E3AE43-367D-4DC9-9A3E-9D44C895DFCC.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 237
  • DFC36145-BC72-4D27-AF1B-DA6B2EE78758.jpeg
    DFC36145-BC72-4D27-AF1B-DA6B2EE78758.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 242
  • CA82B4A9-9F40-4501-9963-53BA0AD782E9.jpeg
    CA82B4A9-9F40-4501-9963-53BA0AD782E9.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 392A4DD9-7189-4DD1-99E4-CC7B6F3D86FF.jpeg
    392A4DD9-7189-4DD1-99E4-CC7B6F3D86FF.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 2A7C4E66-1629-43AE-A1A3-E37BB22F158A.jpeg
    2A7C4E66-1629-43AE-A1A3-E37BB22F158A.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 232
  • CAC0AC6A-18A1-4236-B4D4-ED7A7C6B2221.jpeg
    CAC0AC6A-18A1-4236-B4D4-ED7A7C6B2221.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 2333EA6C-9DF7-4536-94D1-41DCB640F541.jpeg
    2333EA6C-9DF7-4536-94D1-41DCB640F541.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 255
Sponsored Links
Just spoke with previous owner who sounds genuine.

He stored it over the winter with rear wheels in the air.
Do this then mean that the oil has seeped into places it shouldn’t have ?

He also said that pulling up the second bar then allowed the mower to start going forward. This no longer happens as mentioned above.

I’m looking for a throttle cover and air filter case etc. Is this item a Mounted in a Oleo Mac dress ??

Lets see if I can make a fool of myself....this make isn't known to me but I always thought they were made by Efco in another guise.
Anyway.....storing the thing with rear wheels in the air was a bad move - I'd guess the silencer is full of oil hence the spitting, but check the oil level anyway. I'd guess the engine is of Chinese manufacture.....it looks like Chinese if you can understand that!
The big issue could be the transmission. There will be a belt going to the back axle - check its there and running on the pulleys. The rear axle gearbox will have a lever, more than likely, to engage drive. If moving the lever doesn't cause the axle to rotate then its faulty.
Can I suggest you don't spend much until you've really investigated the machine? rear axle repairs are more or less impossible because you can't get the parts. In cases like that I convert the machine to a push one.
I think a Briggs air filter box could be close, but sod's law says the pitch of the carb bolts won't be the same :eek:
Looking forward to hearing what you find!
John :)

Hi,
So I mentioned plug is dry.
When I bring Revs up it smokes and spits oil.
Going by his storage error it does sound like exhaust issue I mean if rings or oil in cylinder then you would expect plug to be wet.
Sound correct to you ?

I nosed under the deck but didn’t see any belt.
I will go and look again now but I thought it was just a rear shaft going wheel to wheel with like a gearbox on it ?

Can you take a look at the throttle photo please. Do you think it’s on the wrong way. I mean I push the lever down which is a bit cock eyed way of doing it ?

Regarding the air filter. I have a 3D printer so could make something no problem.
Will it just be a box to hold the air filter and a spout to connect that floating breather pipe I show in the photo.

Sponsored Links
There is no belt or pulleys and not even fitted I believe on this model as no place for it or empty threaded holes etc.
Zoom into the photo supplied and you will see there is a small Spring. It's only connected at one end as I lifted it up with my finger.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 244
Its possible for lube oil to bypass the cylinder and head straight for the valve chest cover, and then down valve stems into the silencer.....run the engine for 10 mins or so and see if the smoke / spitting clears.
I wouldn't expect a mower like this to be shaft drive but as I've not seen one before I really wouldn't know - I'd expect to find a belt hidden behind a plastic cover under the deck, driven by a pulley on the crankshaft that also hold the blade.
The air filter is just a box, as you say, and the pipe you see is a breather that normally connects to the back of the box so the engine can burn crankcase fumes. I'd be delighted to see a home made one!
The way that throttle lever is at present, pushing the lever down should pull on the wire, and the engine should speed up. If the wire doesn't move it's possible that the throttle lever unit hasn't been assembled correctly....no-one knows what's happened before but it shouldn't be difficult to work it out.

There is no belt or pulleys and not even fitted I believe on this model as no place for it or empty threaded holes etc.
Zoom into the photo supplied and you will see there is a small Spring. It's only connected at one end as I lifted it up with my finger.

The gearbox usually has two springs....one to tension the belt by swinging the gearbox back to the body, and the other to return the drive lever on the box to the off position.
The handle has two levers, one of which is the drive and the other is the engine start / flywheel brake. Is one not connected?

Running it for 10 I will try tomorrow.
If no joy should I take off ex muffler etc and burn it out ?

Did you see the photo I just supplied as the small Spring isn't connected at one end ?

Looking u dear the deck I just see a shaft from the crank I assume which has the blade on it, nothing else there at all in respect of belt or pulls or even a cover etc.

Pushing the throttle lever down is awkward as the brake levers etc are in the way. It operates OK as this is when I noticed the revs rise and it smoked. Would make much more sense if the lever was at the top which would make it easily accessible because at present you need to be a catorsionist "or however it's spelt"

I'd just leave the muffler on - when it gets hot it will burn the oil away. It will take a while of course.
I noticed the spring but as I'm not familiar with the shaft drive I'll need a pic. I imagine its to do with the return of the cable connected to the handlebar lever though.
I think that throttle lever is incorrectly assembled....if you take it to bits it should be able to make it work, by pushing the lever forwards rather than downwards as it is there. I believe there is a plastic notch that the lever locates into.....if you undo the nut, allow the lever to come clear of the mechanism and turn the lever anticlockwise until it can engage with the spool it should work. Sorry, this is difficult to explain.

Ok so we agree the throttle is backward etc.
There is a notch which the outer cable clips into so when you operate the lever it then allows the inner cable to be pulled.
The cable can easily come out of the notch. Is this because a cover is missing from it or just because it's on the wrong way round ?

Its usually the cover that holds the cable in place but you can sometimes hold the outer cable securely with a cable tie.

Hi,
Today i have left the mower running for time and the white smoke is much better.
I have also cleaned under the deck and noticed a cover of which i could not see before,you are correct & a belt was off.
I put the belt back on & also that spring i mentioned.
Now the self propell works BUT i think the belt needs a bit more tension.
How is this done or has the belt stretched as i can squeeze it together so it touches.

Turning the throttle lever over now works easier but ive ordered another one anyway.

Well, you're certainly getting there!
There are a few ways of tensioning the belt or gearbox.....Sometimes there is a spring loaded screw that hooks onto the back of the gearbox and protrudes through a panel that the grassbox slots on to, sometimes the box is spring loaded, sometimes pulling the go handle pulls the box back. I'd suggest that dislocated spring has something to do with it!

The spring is now fitted. It could be that the belt tensions itself when I operate the handle.

The height adjustment knob keeps popping out of the hole.
I’m going to drill through it and put a nut & bolt.

It’s different to others I’ve seen.
Mine has a bullet like item on the lever and the deck has 4 holes for it to pop into.

.....and the spring tension is so hopeless the lever pops out of its setting, every time :eek:
I've used the nut and bolt method many times, if convenient a wing nut replaces the ordinary nut so you can readjust the deck height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back