Nightmare painting the garage doors!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:(

Morning all

I need to paint 3 wooden & 1 metal garage doors. Im really struggling!
They are in a cream paint currently, gloss on the wood and a matt paint on the metal door (sorry, I havent done much outside painting :oops: )

Ive washed down the first wooden one, scraped the flakey paint off, sanded it down and undercoated just the bare bits. I had some Albany cream gloss mixed up from Brewers, and its running everywhere! Little runs mostly, I have painted lots of interiors with good results but Im at a loss here.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh and what paint for the metal door as its a matt finish?

Thanks all :oops: :confused:

Sponsored Links
You want to be undercoating the whole door - it'll help the paint stay put. You'll have to put the paint on a bit thinner and give it a few more coats by the sounds of it.

also, are you painting in direct sunlight ? Painting broad area's in this kind of heat needs as gycol says thnner paint, but in direct sunlight it sets too quick not allowing you to lay off and where it skinned over the undernath is still wet , so slumps (runs). Albany is prone to this in normal temp's..IMHO.. ;)
The matt :?: door You sure its not an old gloss gone dull? Deep colours go matt (bloom) very quickly.

I'm painting a garage door on present job ... But will be glossing when sun has gone off it.:cool: Hopefully before rain comes ... :rolleyes:
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back